Master fader - too sensitive. Fixable?

PJ Shea

Gear owned
Model 12
I was just wondering if there's a way to adjust the sensitivity of the master fader on a Model 12. Currently, anything louder than about -25db is pretty much deafening, and the slightest little movements of the fader itself will result in massive changes in output volume. Also, because I have to keep the fader so low, the LED metering doesn't register anything over the first one or two LED bars, making metering pretty inaccurate and kind of pointless.

I did a quick search through the manual as well as google, but couldn't find anything that might remedy the problem. I also looked through the system settings and everything and it doesn't seem to have an option that would allow me to use the master fader at appropriate levels.

The issue exists both when routing things through my DAW, as well as just straight into the mixer. I can adjust the output levels on my monitors, but that doesn't really help the fader sensitivity issue.

Any help is appreciated!

A google search on "gainstaging" may help you get pointed in the right direction.

Don't own one of these FOH mixers, so can't be of more help.

Reactions: shredd
I second the advice of Mark Richards, it seems you have to adjust your levels beforehand (maybe your equipment has a -10dB / +4dB switch set the wrong way).
In my experience faders on Model 12 are very smooth (read = gradually change in level) in the upper range (+10 dB / -25 dB) and get quickly jerky in the lower range (-25 dB / -infinite) where abrupt level changes are still perceptible. If the gainstaging has been set correctly you shouldn't get too hot / quiet levels. A look at the Level Diagram on page 214 of the OM should help in your troubleshooting quest.

Reactions: shredd
Thanks, Max and Mark. Sorry for the noob question!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.