Menu button stopped working

James henricks

Gear owned
Model 24
I bought a tascam model 24 nearly 2 years ago. It's had very little use due to the pandemic.

When I got it, I upgraded to then latest firmware. All was good.

Has been powered off for about a year and when I kicked it back to life the Menu Button no longer functions. it's dead. I upgraded to latest firmware again by SD card via depressing stop button and rewind button on power up. But still the menu button does not work. Without getting into the whole send it back or contact tascam customer support, is there any known work around or fix for this? or specific firmware version for this problem?

Considering how little use it has got I am surprised. This is the second model 24 I bought. The first one, the shuttle jog was not working which made even pressing Enter to upgrade firmware impossible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Reactions: -mjk-
nothing apart from some contact cleaner lubricant sprayed under the button?

Reactions: -mjk-
@James henricks Caig Laboratories Deoxit is very good for spraying switches. In Taiwan we have some German stuff that smells almost identical to that and I have found that also works very well. Find a save deoxidant contact cleaner spray. Since the unit is out of warranty you have nothing to lose really, by giving it a bit of a spray from the top of the unit. Make sure that you try to direct as much of the spray into the space surrounding the button and even press the button very lightly to better control the overspray. This will probably take more volume that normal because it's hit-or-miss getting it into the switch body. Make sure you acuate the switch throughout the process to get the spray to work into the switch body and contacts. Have some absorbent paper or cloth towels handy and some kind of a light solvent such as alcohol to wipe up the excess (I usually lay a few right on the panel first). Observe carefully, any effect on the silk screening on the panel and be careful as it may damage the paint. The other thing to watch out for it is overspray inside the machine which might result in "painting" the inside of the clear display cover. If you get any of that stuff on the display you will have to disassemble the unit to properly clean it off. I don't where the switch is, relative to the display though, so that might not apply in this case. But I did spray the Play button on my DP-32 and the spray seeps under the button head and slightly discolored the button (which can only been seen when it's lit up).

Reactions: BazzBass

New threads

Members online

No members online now.