Midi sync 788 and Model 12

SchaefferMallory

Gear owned
Model 12
Hello,

Is it possible to sync the Model 12 and 788 via midi such that when I hit record on the Model 12, the 788 will record simultaneously and not drift?

I’ve seen other posts about slaving the 788 and connecting two 788s so this seemed straightforward but wanted to double check before buying a 788 (currently have a model 12)

thanks much,
Schaeffer

I don't use MIDI sync, so I'm not super helpful here, but I have often synced the 788 to slave my Studio One DAW (PC) via MTC, and that works absolutely no problem. I assume MIDI Sync is "easier" to sync, technically speaking, than chasing what amounts to 30 square waveforms per second (i.e., MIDI timecode), so my guess MIDI sync should be straightforward.

@schaeffermallory
It should be possible, taking in account that the Model 12 can only act as a master.
Chapter 11 and 12 of the 788 Owner's Manual cover synchronization with/to other devices, this is an excerpt:

11 – Synchronization

You can expand the options available to you when using the 788 by connecting it and synchronizing it to other musical equipment.

Typically, this extra equipment will be MIDI-based (sequencers, drum machines, synthesizers, etc.).

Of course, although it is possible to record MIDI instruments on the 788 tracks during the initial stages of the recording project, it may make more sense to use the eight audio tracks of the 788 for material that cannot be automated via MIDI (guitars and other acoustic instruments and of course vocals).

When it comes to mixdown time, the 788 allows you to extend the eight available audio tracks by playing additional sources through the sub-mixer and adding them to the mix (see “Sub-mixer” on page 48).

To make this work, though, the MIDI instruments and the 788 must be synchronized to each other, so that playback on one set of sound sources (the

Master or slave?

The terms master and slave are used to name the con- troller and the controlled units in a chain of devices such as the 788 and other audio devices.

However, it is possible for a unit to be a master unit in one configuration at the same time as being a slave in another.

How to measure time?

There are two ways of counting time in music: one is the number of minutes and seconds since the begin- ning of the piece. This is the way in which tape recorders, etc. count time.

The other method of counting time is the number of bars (measures) since the beginning of the piece. This is the way in which MIDI sequencers typically count time.

recorded audio tracks) keeps time with the sequenced MIDI tracks.

The 788 can synchronize with MIDI equipment in a number of different ways, as explained in this section, allowing a high degree of flexibility in the setup.

As well as synchronizing to other devices, it is also possible for the 788 to control other devices or to be controlled by them (see “MMC and MIDI functions” on page 101).

All synchronization is carried out through the two MIDI ports on the rear panel of the 788, no matter what kind of synchronization is used, or the role of the 788 in the synchronization chain.

The 788 cannot use audible SMPTE/EBU timecode from the timestripe track of a tape. If the source to be synchro- nized with the 788 only has audible timecode available, it must be converted to and from MIDI timecode (MTC) as appropriate.

For example, the 788 may be set up to be a timecode master (other units receive their timecode from the 788 and act accordingly), and a control slave (it receives stop/start commands, etc.) from other units.

A 788 can also be a timecode (MTC) slave, and in this way, two 788s can be synchronized.

There is no direct relationship between these two ways of counting, as the relationship depends on the tempo of the piece.

When synchronizing, therefore, one unit in the chain must be capable of making a map which relates the minutes and seconds of one system to the bars and beats of the other. If the tempo stays fairly constant throughout a piece, this is a matter of fairly simple arithmetic, but if the tempo changes through a piece, this is not so easy to do.
[...]

New threads

Members online