Ministudio Porta 02 - Not Recording on 3/4

capicúa

From
San José, Costa Rica
Gear owned
Porta 02
Hello,

I have a Tascam Porta 02 which is not recording on tracks 3 and 4. Tracks 1 and 2 seem to be working fine.

Tracks 3 and 4 do play audio correctly. I do not have the schematics, but I have done everything according to the user's manual. So far, no results.

I have read that some re-capping may be necessary, but if anyone has any idea where to start, I'd appreciate it.

Reactions: -mjk-
The best approach is the shotgun approach. If you're gonna replace a single electrolytic capacitor, you should replace all of them, because they're all the same age. In any of the console rebuilds I've ever done, it's been 100% of the entire console and nothing left out.

Reactions: capicúa
That does seem logical. They are all rated for a very low voltage, or so they say. I'll open it up and see if I can find anything.

Recapping of the Electrolytics is a good idea for those items made in the Vietnam era days but the Porta Studios have been made much later than that. I would go looking for the real problem as shotgun is time consuming and may not at all get your unit fixed. I would approach the repair in a more technical manner determining if audio is the cause of if the bias is missing. It is probably a dirty switch or maybe a relay.
If you see any 10V caps I put 16V caps in to replace them. I think 10V caps were sold as 16V drop outs. I have had a lot of them short in my service days and some of them were Marcon.

Reactions: capicúa
Managed to get it working again?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.