Mixdown on Model 16/24

Rayf Hellroy

Gear owned
Model 16
Just got the Model 16. Set up was a breeze and it’s got a pretty good feel. Used it to record a 2 hour practice the other night. My question is this: when I’m mixing down to the MTR, not all the tracks are heard. I hear everything while monitoring and setting levels, EQ, and FX. But after Exporting Stereo Mix, I open the wav and find all I have are drums and vocals.

Does anyone have a clue? Because, I’m stumped.

Thanks in advance,
Rayf

Reactions: Marcel
Back in the day, whenever we got a new console in the studio, until we became familiar with the board, we'd use a checklist of all the buttons, switches, and patches that needed activation to do an initial mix .

I don't own a model 24, so all I can offer is that you go through a mental checklist for each track of all the things that need to be turned on, switched on, or engaged for each track to get those recorded tracks (1-22) to the stereo master (tracks 23/24).

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. Yep, I’ll verify all that tonight after work.

Hi @Rayf Hellroy and welcome to the Tascam Forums. What seems weird is that apparently, you hear things while mixing that aren't making it to the master track. Like Mark, I don't own one of those units, but clearly something isn't right with regards to mix monitoring. So, checking what bus is being monitored would be a good thing to add to that list.

By all means, please follow-up with any questions (some here are directly acquainted with the 16) and especially when you have found the solution so we may add to the knowledge base.

Hi folks. Thanks for the kind welcome and the ideas. After a couple hours of playing around and digging, I found this on page 37 of the manual: “The MAIN MIX L/R bus does not have a REC button, but it is always in recording standby. The signals of the MAIN MIX L/R bus will always be recorded if the 0 (Record) button is pressed.” My initial (incorrect) assumption was that you set up your mix and used the Stereo Mix Export function to save it. Once I had my mix set up and made sure no individual tracks were armed to record, I just had to return to the beginning of that song and hit the Record button. After that the Export Stereo Mix function worked as expected.

These hardware units don't render the audio like a DAW. So you have to record the mixdown in real time.

even though you heard the tracks are you sure you armed them so they recorded?

New threads

Members online