MixerMuse T2488

MixerMuse

Gear owned
2488 Original -MKII - neo
T2488 is chiefly automation software originally written for the original 2488 and the MKII. This software runs only on the PC from way back, Windows 95 up to Windows 7. All the automation is performed over the MIDI interface. The software automates all the features of the 2488 accessible through the MIDI port (which is a lot). The automation is used mainly for mixing. Automation from the PC allows the user to edit mixes instead of having to redo them all over again on the Tascam when a change is required. The MIDI interface has not changed on later versions of the 2488 since the MKII so all the automation in T2488 still works for these models. We highly recommend that if you are interested in T2488, download the free demo software at http://www.mixermuse.com/ and give it a try before you buy. Buying the software ($49.95 US for product download) will allow you to save and load the automation on your PC.

Since the 2488 harddiskrecorders have spdif in and out is the 2488 using any ASIO hardware? Or can you use a VST host to send processed stereo information to the 2488? Because then the combination of the T2488 and a VST host like Cantabile or VSTHost (free) you can have buscompression and get some great mixes with a minimum of complex routing.

I've been using digital consoles now for 10 years. And I own severall analog consoles too. The Tascam 2488 can get you a top 40 song. And leave out the complexity. To be able to use some extra VST plugins for processing could be a bonus...

Enjoy...

Reactions: Alton3266
Unfortunately, no. The spdif can only be used with two channels at a time. Additionally, It is real time only. You could do processing on the PC and record it to the 2488 in real time on two channels.

That's exactly what I mean. Use it as a stereo bus (realltime) effect... And then rerecord in the Tascam.. So now you can bounce down the drums, vocals, guitars and then make the final mixdown with the stems... Great workflow.. No?

Let me see if I understand you...

First, when I say 'real time' I mean the transport has to be moving (either play or record).

When you are playing the Tascam from any two tracks you are sending song data in digital, serialized (spdif) data format to your computer to any sound card that will receive spdif data and recording it in some kind of package like Pro Tools.

When you are recording with the Tascam transport moving you are receiving spdif data as the song is playing on the computer from a package like Pro Tools.

Just to be clear, you cannot use both send and receive simultaneously on the Tascam. The reason is that the Tascam will not let you do that - you must do one or the other.

When you write "stereo bus (realltime) effect" I think you may be thinking that you can send from two channels on the Tascam and simultaneously record (receive) on two other channels on the Tascam - can't do that (if that is what you are saying?). If you could do this it would be more like an external, effects send and receive loop.

In any case, are you saying that you can send and then receive your master (sub-master for Tascam) mix down? And if so, you could process the master on your computer and then send it back to your Tascam running in record mode? I guess this would allow you to process the master (or any two tracks in theory). If you kept your raw tracks on the computer you would always have a golden copy to go back to. A couple issues with this would be: 1) the sync would be hard to do for punch in and out (and therefore editing; you can also get unwanted pops this way) - it seems like you would have to send the whole processed track back from beginning to end 2) you would have to do this for every set of two tracks, including master, that you want to process 3) there would be a lot of track juggling on the Tascam which you could do with virtual tracks I suppose OR you could just keep the golden raw tracks and any processed tracks you want to save on your computer and simply record over the corresponding, previous tracks (do all the track juggling on the computer) 3) it seems to me that rather than go through all that...just get all the raw tracks in your computer and do the rest of your mixing and processing on the computer. There are a lot of great packages on the computer that would handle automated mixing, processing and mastering without ever going back to the Tascam.

As a side, I really like the spdif but for different reasons. With spdif you can get digitally clean tracks back and forth to your computer without going through the digital to analog and analog to digital conversions (and thereby introducing noise). The more you can stay in digital land the more pristine your final mix is going to be.

Oh, also...this is why I have always like the forum - where else can you find folks that specifically discuss recording and the Tascam like this?

There are pure VST hosts. Usually developed for playing live. Those hosts (as specifically named in my earlier post) could complement the current T2488 offering.

I now work with Nuendo, Sonar X2 and Protools. Not the easiest of programs. And if these programs were foreplay sex would be non existent.

Lotsa little bands emerge each year. A 8 channel recorder who can do a total of 24 tracks is a great way to work and it allso gives clear boundaries. Where if I visit gearslutz (a forum where lots of the worlds best mixing engineers attend) the all talk about 200 channel protools sessions. And the old records where everybody looks upto were made on 24 trax max. So a limitation can allso be creative freedom.

Please look at the VST hosts I suggested. Severall are free. And there are tons of free VST's out there too..

I like your description of Pro Tools - it is a real pain in the butt to learn. It is my favorite package but it took me a few years to learn the basics and still learning. I am familiar with VST, DX and RTAS plug ins. I actually own Ozone's mastering and spectrum package for Pro Tools. One way I do my mixing is recording the raw tracks on my 2488 original, MKII or neo and porting them over as waves into Pro Tools. I would rather transfer waves than use 2 channel realtime spdif or aes/ebu transfers. I also prefer faster than realtime transfers on more than 2 channels for anything other than a dumb audio interface to the computer. The downside of using Pro Tools are all the proprietary interfaces and standards which boils down to $$$. I will take a look at the cheaper and free hosts you mentioned but my wife already has to drag me out the studio. ;-)

I'm interested in purchasing the MixerMuse for my 2488 MkII and was wondering if anybody knows if there is any video of it on the net? I tried searching youtube but haven't found anything. I would like to see how it works and how to set it up before I purchase it. I went to their web site and it is quite informative, but I would like know more about it and maybe see a video of it in actual use.
Also, if anybody here has it could you let me know how you like it? Any drawbacks or advantages of using it? It seems like it would be a cool product, but I would like to know how useful it actually is in producing, mixing and mastering on the 2488. I can't afford to be spending money on things that I won't use.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Laplayantonio
My experience is that the T2488 program will NOT run on modern pcs (XP and up). Too f'ing bad. It's a great idea, but no one is going to put in the work on a program for discontinued recorders like the 2488.

By the way, you CAN record from one track to another by taking the main outputs to a mixer and sending the mixer signal back to a track (or two) on the 2488. You can add outboard effects this way, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the above post is not true. T2488 works on XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8. I have been using T2488 on all these operating systems since they came out. Here is a screen shot of my Windows 8 laptop.

t2488windows8.jpg

The problem is with settings for Microsoft's SmartScreen, operating system security settings and certain virus program security settings. You can read more about it here along with some help on installing the program.

http://www.mixermuse.com/FAQ_For_64_Bit.pdf

You can also email tech support at support@mixermuse.com or call at 720-363-9702. Many customers have not had problems at all but some have and we have helped everyone get through these security annoyances successfully.

There is a new version coming out that has many new features including some patented ones... http://mixermuse.com/blog/2014/04/14/patent-announcement/

The new software will not have these issues. It will also have many firsts for the market. It will be a free upgrade for current license holders at the time of release but will probable go up for new users after release. The demo is time unlimited and free. You can get it up and running on your computer before you ever buy a license. You just can't save or load files.

Best Regards,
Mark @ MixerMuse

I believe my post started with a caveat: "In my experience...". The program runs on my old Windows 98 machine. It will not run on my 8.1 or Vista machines even after using all the procedures from the MixerMuse FAQ. Microsoft wins again. I look forward to the upgrade.

I would be happy to help you with the problems if you want but do not blame you in the least for wanting to wait. The new update is well worth waiting for. The patent is about an algorithm that will automate your entire midi studio in one app. It creates mixers automatically (called instruments) and allows them to be saved as instrument stacks. It will no longer be limited to Tascam equipment although the default instrument will be a superset of all the models they have made to date. It will have an extremely highly accurate midi sequencer and can drive at least 6 (most we have tested so far) MTC master clocks simultaneously...all done with kernel streaming accuracy. It will allow the user to slave the T2488 (new name will be MidiMuse) controls to external midi equipment like the latest master mode on the Tascam's or any midi equipment so you can capture the mix from the board, create the virtual mixer automatically and play back the automation under PC control. Folks can create or download their own skins. Instrument drivers can be created by users and uploaded to a driver library for other folks that do not want to mess with making it themselves (although no knowledge of midi is required to create your own). It will also give folks tools to build their own companies for midi applications. Oh, it is also 32 or 64 bit. Thanks for your interest and I am sorry for any issues you had with the current software.

Mark

hello everyone...

I'm after getting hold of MixerMuse, can anybody help??

as the original webpage isn't much alive, anybody interested in selling me his (or another) copy..???

hope somebody notices... :-/

New threads

Members online

No members online now.