Mixing to stereo master track on DP 006

Tascam408

Gear owned
DP 006
Hi all,
I used DP 006 to record line in L+R, from a DJ mixer. When I was done, I realized this is not a "song" yet, I have to set the "in/out" times and make a "stereo master track".

If there is nothing I want to ADD to this, I should make sure my inputs are set to OFF.
I set the in and out times.
Now I have to basically record to the stereo master, essentially sit here while it plays through an hour long take, recording itself with nothing new being added.

I was hoping there would be an easy way to just capture what's there in the L+R tracks into a stereo file, and crunch the data into a final mix, without another real-time re-recording.

Do you think I am misinterpreting the manual? Can it just take the current tracks as-is and make a stereo master, without re-recording realtime, the entire thing?

Thanks for any input. Cool little machine, I have used the internal mics for guitar ideas.
I'm now trying to avoid recording on a computer now, and see if it will be good for a line-in dj mix. Computers ruin everything.

Before I posted that I had exported the tracks as separate files.

I just merged them into a multi-track in Adobe Audition, panned full L and R, and mixed it down to a single stereo file from there.

To "backup" the tracks to the SD card took some time also, about 20 minutes (for 1 hour recording), but it was better than playing/recording back the entire session in real-time.

I'm trying the "record stereo master" method now as well, just in case that is the best way to do it.

update:
An hour later now after mixing down in realtime to a stereo master..
Now saving that master file to SD card = another 20 minutes (have to go back to Multitrack mode because you can't do anything in Master mode).
I've used half of my brand new batteries today, but I won't have any computer audio glitches so I'm happy.

Last edited:
Similar to my issue. Being new to digital interfaces. I'm kind if getting the hang of things.

I have to each sound from my drum machine. Then go back to do the next part. However, then do I play back the recording by itself. Without adding anything. To get a clean bus onto a clean track?

I haven't gotten to the point where the 5th and 6th track function but that's another story.. I'd like to put 3 tracks onto 1 and then use the 2 of the tracks I just put onto track 4. Then record everything onto track 3. Then also record it to track 2. So I have equal left and right. For my master.

Am I doing this right? I dont use the manual because I accidentally erased the demo song. Witch the manual uses as a guild.

Off topic but how are you syncing the drum machine when you overdub another layer of drums? Also are you using anything on a computer that can multitrack?

I am using the Tascam to capture raw/separate track files, and mixing them later on the PC in Audition. This is to save time and also to avoid messing up, I would certainly get lost doing what you are describing.

I accidentally deleted an hour long recording :( not sure what I thought I was doing but first thing I do is export tracks to SD and copy to the PC.

Also I got the DC power adapter so that is nice I won't use the batteries during my long recordings.

I pulled out tbis DP006 and watched a youtube about it to remember how it worked. I ended up searching about the same question and found my old post here.

If I record a 2 hour recording, do i have to sit through a 2 hour mixing down before I can use the files?

Thanks if anybody can confirm.

Lot of mixed questions and topics. I own the similar DP-008EX and AFAIK for the big DP-24/32 untis, it is exactly the same. Mixdown (= create master track) is always in real time. And additionally, if you want to apply mastering FX to the master track, it is an additional real time run.
Plus the export time to .wav file.

It depends how many single tracks you have to mixdown: Exporting a bunch of tracks will also take its time, before you can import it to a DAW and do the downmix there, probably quicker the last step. Hence, if you just have 2 tracks from a live downmix it might be better to export those as they are and create the master file externally in a computer SW.

Regarding the batteries: I only use batteries for mobile work. Get the DC adapter: It's good value!

New threads

Staff online

Members online