Mixing with Model 24

Jon Wilson

Gear owned
Tascam Model 24
I recently purchased the Model 24 and was under the impression that I could mix tracks from my DAW using the Model 24. I can't get anything to the Model 24 other than a stereo output on tracks 1 and 2. Is there a way for each track in my DAW to be on tracks individually on the Model 24? I'm using Garageband but also have Audacity and Studio One 4.

Did you install the ASIO driver?

I installed the ModelMixer. Is that the ASIO driver for Mac? There's nothing in the ModelMixer when I open it.

I have no idea about Mac computers. But, if you're only seeing 2 channels that means the driver is not enabling all channels on the USB connection. In the Windows world that means no ASIO driver.

You can mix your DAW tracks on the console - that's one of the main functions. You have to sort your driver/config issues, but you'll get it working.

I’m trying to figure out if it’s an issue with my DAW or if it’s the driver. If it’s the driver on Mac, I’m not sure how to fix it. And if it’s the DAW, I’ll just have to upgrade. Do you know if GarageBand has the ability to output to more than 2 channels?

@Matthew once again, thank you for jumping on this topic and helping out!

Reactions: Matthew Fogel
So I ended up needing to get a DAW that had the ability to assign each track in the DAW it's own output that sends it to its own channel on the mixer. I'm able to play the song in the DAW now and mix the tracks on the mixer. The problem I'm running into now is I don't know how to get my mixed tracks back into the DAW or onto an SD card. I have each channel in PC mode and I can hear and mix each channel. I can only hear them when I assign each one to Main or to the Sub Group then Sub Group to Main. The Main volume fader does nothing but the Main L and R signal lights show the signal of what I'm hearing. How do I get this mixdown back into my DAW?

Jon! Glad to see you are making progress. I've only had my Model 24 for a week now so I'm not much further along than you are. I have a Windows 10 computer as well as an older (2007, OSX El Capitan 10.11.6, GarageBand '11/6.0.5) iMac and on both I user Reaper.

I'm also still learning the routing. Closing the loop on your earlier GarageBand question, I was able to record from the Model 24 by installing the driver, selecting enable multitrack recording and choosing New Track / Real Instrument and then selecting my desired track from the Import Source list.

Regarding mixing out of the box, I too had to use a more powerful DAW, in my case Reaper.

Now, I'm still sorting this stuff out, so I know I will find a better way but for now I have a couple of workflows I've sussed out.

If my goal is to mixdown my DAW session to the Model 24, whether the session originated in the box (combo of virtual instruments and real instruments) or whether the session originated as an import from the SD card of a Model 24 session that I wanted to treat with plugins etc, then I am doing the following:

On the Master Channel in the DAW, I am removing the default track 1/2 output and adding a hardware output of 21/22 since that particular channel strip has the fewest frills and is the catch all for phones etc anyways. On the Model 24, I set the strip to "PC" on the input select.

For each track that I want to send to the Model 24 for mixdown, at this time I'm just adding a hardware send and assigning my desired channel strip on the Model 24. For each track that I choose, I set the corresponding input source on the Model 24 to "PC".

In order to bounce the final mix back into the DAW, I create a new empty stereo track and set the input source to tracks 23/24 (these are the two Master channels on the Model 24). I will arm this track to record and monitor source. I then select a section of the song that is loudest and loop it just to get my levels.

Over on the Model 24, I will adjust the channel strips EQs to my desired settings, adjust the faders etc. When it comes time to record the mix, I will either mute track 21/22 on the Model 24 or uncheck the send to Master checkbox on the output sends of the individual DAW tracks just so we don't record the monitoring channels we set up for the DAW.

Once you are happy with your channel strip settings and your mix on the Model 24, then record from the DAW. The track you recorded of tracks 23/24 will be your mixdown.

If you want to record all of the tracks you sent from the PC/Mac to the SD card, just create a new song, arm each track on the Model 24 you wish to record and then hit record on the Model 24 and play on the DAW. To listen back to what you transferred to the Model 24's recorder, switch the channels you wish to audition to MTR for the input source.

If you want to grab what you mixed in the box, just arm track 21/22 in the above workflow and you'll have a copy of your original in the box mix.

To run individual stereo tracks back to the Model 24 in order to work hybrid, what I have worked out so far is as follows:

Set up the track you wish to work on to use a hardware output corresponding to a channel strip. Set up a new track and set the input source to tracks 23/24. Make the EQ settings you wish to make. Then record the new track via the DAW. The resulting file will be your treated track. If you use this workflow to tracks 1/2 you can use outboard gear. You'll need two insert cables to route the outboard gear. (1/4 TRS male to dual RCA or 1/4 TRS male to dual 1/4 TS male mono) Tip is send, ring is receive.

Also, I've been experimenting with routing to allow sending for channels out of the box to the Model 24 at the same time and recording them. With 4 patch cables you can mix through the Model 24 and back into your DAW.

To do this, I'm sending my 4 tracks out on tracks 1, 2, 3, 4 and back in on 5,6,7,8. On track 1, I select sub and pan all the way to the left. I then attach a patch cable from Sub L to track 5. On track 2, I select sub and pan all the way right. I then attach a patch cable from Sub R to track 6. On track 3, I set the Monitor 1 Aux pot to 0db (about 11 o'clock on the dial - it's marked). I then patch from Monitor 1 to track 7. On track 4, I set the Monitor 2 Aux pot to 0db (about 11 o'clock on the dial - it's marked). I then patch from Monitor 2 to track 8.
For input settings, on tracks 1-4 select PC and for tracks 5-8 select line.

Next, inside my DAW, I set up hardware sends for the 4 tracks I wish to work with to tracks 1 through 4. I then create 4 blank tracks and select inputs 5 through 8.

Use the channel strips on track 1 and track 5 to make your desired settings. Note that because you're using the track 5 line level input, you are routing through the low cut and the compressor coming back in to your DAW. Repeat this process for each of the 4 routes and audition as needed until you are happy with the sound. When you are happy, arm your 4 incoming tracks in the DAW and record.

You can also use the same concept to bus down tracks to tracks 13-22. In a plain old old-school PortaStudio way, you can also use this concept to use the 5 stereo pairs of tracks as buses. Note that if you doing this standalone to the MTR, you will get the original low-cut and compression you printed when you recorded the individual tracks and the EQ and faders will print from the tracks you are mixing down but only the low-cut and the compression of the "bus" will print to the mixdown tracks.

That's all I can think of so far. I think once I've got some more experience I'll do a stand alone how-to FAQ.

Thanks, Matthew--that's a super helpful post! I'll look forward to your insight as you get more experience.

One issue I've been having is that I've found my input levels are really low when recording directly into my Mac (running Logic Pro X). I can jack up the gain to compensate, but this introduces some noise I'm not thrilled about. When I record directly to SD and then import to Logic, the levels are better, so it's not a problem with the Model 24. Any thoughts about this?

Otherwise I'm really loving this, and have found (despite the woeful manual) everything to be pretty straightforward (setting up an aux effects loop, etc.). This is my first larger mixer, so I also may be overlooking something obvious.

Regarding input levels, I had a similar issue and I found that I needed to use both some input gain on the board to compensate (I think I had it to the 0 that denotes line level 0db) and also some gain in the daw in post. Since you're dealing with a digital signal, don't be afraid to boost it once it's a file. Remember with digital, so long as you don't clip the signal when you record, you can always increase the levels in the DAW, Or just use the MTR tracks and let the Model 24 sort it for you.

Hi Folks, really new w/ the Model 24. My Mac won't play back any sound via the USB connection to the M24. For example, if I want to play iTunes or hear the audio from a YouTube vid. I installed TASCAM Model Mixer Settings Panel.
Software Ver: 1.10.0014
Firmware Ver: 1.41.0079
Device: Model 24 (of course)
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
Mac OS Ver: Mojave 10.14.6
The Mac "sees" the M24 as an Output and Input Device in System Preferences.
Ableton 9 "sees" them too.
I can hear my instruments through the M24 and routed to the Main L & R Outputs.
I haven't gotten to the point to try and record anything yet.

Edit: just did a quick track directly to Ableton and 2 channels were recorded. No playback even though Ableton sees the M24.

Last edited:
Unlike some other mixing board/interface combos that output to one of the stereo faders by default, on the Model series, unless you specify otherwise, it will send audio to tracks 1 and 2. So ensure that the faders for 1 and 2 are set to 0 and that the “main” button for each channel is depressed.

I usually use Tracks 21/22 as my DAW return for the software Master channel of the DAW
In your DAWs you probably need to assign this in your preferences or save it to your default mix template depending on the program.

Hi Matthew, Thank you for taking the time to help and explain. So if i make tracks 21 & 22 my DAW Master Channel, would i be able to use the Input Jacks for recording on 21 & 22?
This is gonna sound silly, when you say the "main" button for each channel is depressed, do you mean unpressed? as not activated?
How would i get the audio from other resources outside of the DAW environment? (iTunes, YouTube, etc)

Thanks again!

Reactions: Matthew Fogel
I figured out how to get the audio from other applications. Thanks for the help!

Glad you got it working @Rich Dawson. Please explain how you did it so others can benefit from your experience. Thanks. And welcome to the Tascam Forums.

Reactions: Arjan P
Thanks @-mjk- I'll do that. It would be nice if I could upload print screens of it to make it easier to explain.

Rich, you'll have to use an image hosting service and post a URL.

Jon! Glad to see you are making progress. I've only had my Model 24 for a week now so I'm not much further along than you are. I have a Windows 10 computer as well as an older (2007, OSX El Capitan 10.11.6, GarageBand '11/6.0.5) iMac and on both I user Reaper.

I'm also still learning the routing. Closing the loop on your earlier GarageBand question, I was able to record from the Model 24 by installing the driver, selecting enable multitrack recording and choosing New Track / Real Instrument and then selecting my desired track from the Import Source list.

Regarding mixing out of the box, I too had to use a more powerful DAW, in my case Reaper.

Now, I'm still sorting this stuff out, so I know I will find a better way but for now I have a couple of workflows I've sussed out.

If my goal is to mixdown my DAW session to the Model 24, whether the session originated in the box (combo of virtual instruments and real instruments) or whether the session originated as an import from the SD card of a Model 24 session that I wanted to treat with plugins etc, then I am doing the following:

On the Master Channel in the DAW, I am removing the default track 1/2 output and adding a hardware output of 21/22 since that particular channel strip has the fewest frills and is the catch all for phones etc anyways. On the Model 24, I set the strip to "PC" on the input select.

For each track that I want to send to the Model 24 for mixdown, at this time I'm just adding a hardware send and assigning my desired channel strip on the Model 24. For each track that I choose, I set the corresponding input source on the Model 24 to "PC".

In order to bounce the final mix back into the DAW, I create a new empty stereo track and set the input source to tracks 23/24 (these are the two Master channels on the Model 24). I will arm this track to record and monitor source. I then select a section of the song that is loudest and loop it just to get my levels.

Over on the Model 24, I will adjust the channel strips EQs to my desired settings, adjust the faders etc. When it comes time to record the mix, I will either mute track 21/22 on the Model 24 or uncheck the send to Master checkbox on the output sends of the individual DAW tracks just so we don't record the monitoring channels we set up for the DAW.

Once you are happy with your channel strip settings and your mix on the Model 24, then record from the DAW. The track you recorded of tracks 23/24 will be your mixdown.

If you want to record all of the tracks you sent from the PC/Mac to the SD card, just create a new song, arm each track on the Model 24 you wish to record and then hit record on the Model 24 and play on the DAW. To listen back to what you transferred to the Model 24's recorder, switch the channels you wish to audition to MTR for the input source.

If you want to grab what you mixed in the box, just arm track 21/22 in the above workflow and you'll have a copy of your original in the box mix.

To run individual stereo tracks back to the Model 24 in order to work hybrid, what I have worked out so far is as follows:

Set up the track you wish to work on to use a hardware output corresponding to a channel strip. Set up a new track and set the input source to tracks 23/24. Make the EQ settings you wish to make. Then record the new track via the DAW. The resulting file will be your treated track. If you use this workflow to tracks 1/2 you can use outboard gear. You'll need two insert cables to route the outboard gear. (1/4 TRS male to dual RCA or 1/4 TRS male to dual 1/4 TS male mono) Tip is send, ring is receive.

Also, I've been experimenting with routing to allow sending for channels out of the box to the Model 24 at the same time and recording them. With 4 patch cables you can mix through the Model 24 and back into your DAW.

To do this, I'm sending my 4 tracks out on tracks 1, 2, 3, 4 and back in on 5,6,7,8. On track 1, I select sub and pan all the way to the left. I then attach a patch cable from Sub L to track 5. On track 2, I select sub and pan all the way right. I then attach a patch cable from Sub R to track 6. On track 3, I set the Monitor 1 Aux pot to 0db (about 11 o'clock on the dial - it's marked). I then patch from Monitor 1 to track 7. On track 4, I set the Monitor 2 Aux pot to 0db (about 11 o'clock on the dial - it's marked). I then patch from Monitor 2 to track 8.
For input settings, on tracks 1-4 select PC and for tracks 5-8 select line.

Next, inside my DAW, I set up hardware sends for the 4 tracks I wish to work with to tracks 1 through 4. I then create 4 blank tracks and select inputs 5 through 8.

Use the channel strips on track 1 and track 5 to make your desired settings. Note that because you're using the track 5 line level input, you are routing through the low cut and the compressor coming back in to your DAW. Repeat this process for each of the 4 routes and audition as needed until you are happy with the sound. When you are happy, arm your 4 incoming tracks in the DAW and record.

You can also use the same concept to bus down tracks to tracks 13-22. In a plain old old-school PortaStudio way, you can also use this concept to use the 5 stereo pairs of tracks as buses. Note that if you doing this standalone to the MTR, you will get the original low-cut and compression you printed when you recorded the individual tracks and the EQ and faders will print from the tracks you are mixing down but only the low-cut and the compression of the "bus" will print to the mixdown tracks.

That's all I can think of so far. I think once I've got some more experience I'll do a stand alone how-to FAQ.

Here is a new video demonstrating this workflow:

New threads

Staff online

Members online