Model 12 and OBS 2023

theBullringLive

I've found stuff on YT and here but most is old and or out of date.
I want to be able to bring all of the 12's inputs into OBS as separate channels. I believe I need an ASIO plug but I've heard some don't work quite so well. Is there a best of class for this mixer?
I've heard something about losing channels 1&2-something about monitoring I believe? Channels 1&2 will be for the pa mics. I'll just be monitoring via headphones through OBS-I believe. Can I still keep all my inputs?
Main reason for keeping all inputs is streaming motorsports is a bit challenging. I want to up the audio experience and will need to use some vst's.
I can do all this through the Behrenger 8080 interface I currently use but as a one man band it would be a lot easier for me to turn from pan cam, need to tweak something and not have to fiddle with little knobs and mouse
Thank you for your help

I haven't tried anything yet. I'm trying to find out if it will work for my purposes b4 buying. I just can't afford to blow $600 and waste a whole lot of time trying to do something the product wasn't intended to do.
I've seen a lot of mixer/ audio interfaces that that may have say 8 channels but when you bring them into obs, all you get is 2 channels
Just hoping someone here may be using it for the same purpose

The question is, will OBS recognize ASIO sources? If not then you'll be limited to Windows audio and 2 channels.

OBS does recognize ASIO.
The 1820 with new drivers, all channels are brought in individually.
Our pa system has a M FX10 that obs only brings in a stereo channel
I found this pdf from Tascam regarding setup for obs and if I'm reading it right, obs will only bring in the stereo channels. There isn't any date on the doc so I don't know how current this info is. Obs has had many updates since the 12 came out.
https://tascam.com/downloads/products/tascam/model_12/e_model12_ins_va.pdf

Is it ok to use other manufacturers names here?

OBS does recognise, by default you won't have access to each individual channel without a plugin.

The ASIO Plugin for OBS is only available for windows, which allows you to access to each individual channels

Regarding if you are able to use all 12 channels on OBS there are a few things to keep in mind
  • The 11/12 channel is usually reserved for the Main fader, there is a button "post rec" that is on the Main fader strip that can determine when you want to send the main mix as pre or post Main fader to OBS,
    • For example, if it is engaged then movement on the Main fader WILL affect what is going to OBS if your "ASIO Input Capture" is set channels 11/12, moving the channel faders will affect will also affect going to OBS.
    • If it is disengaged then movement on the Main fader WILL NOT affect what is going to OBS but moving the channels faders will.
      • Can be useful if you want to monitor what is going into OBS via the headphone or via speakers connected to the mains.
    • That means you are already missing 2 channels.
  • Unfortunately you won't be able to use the ASIO plugin and also listen what is coming out from OBS, you have pick one or the other from my testing.
Hope this give you a better idea

Last edited:
Thank you for the help. For now, I can make 7 channels work. The ability to use vst plugins through obs (waves servers are way beyond my budget) is important. I believe that if my budget gets to where I can have a roving camera guy and interviewer, I can pull that in through a rtmp input in obs or even add more channels through the adat connector.
Definitely enough info to make a decision to purchase one.
I'll be back here when I get it all setup
Oh, one other question. I've seen some have said there are some asio plugs that work better for this unit than others. Fruity Loops was one and I believe a couple others. I think they may have been referring mainly to how it worked with certain DAW programs. Any thoughts?

I would also suggest you wait for the latest firmware update, probably will be released in a couple of weeks. It seems to be addressing a lot of issues that the m12 current has and maybe adding new features.

Slightly off track have you used NDI with your live stream? If the wifi network coverage and speed is good you can use a phone camera as an NDI source to be your roaming camera guy. If your wifi coverage is no good, you can use a website called "VDO.ninja" on your phone and use the cell phone signal to send to OBS via the internet. Then you will then have to start thinking about some sort of communication system along side live stream system.

Yeah, definitely waiting to see what the update brings.
I'm currently using NDI on 4 cameras- main operator, and 3 stationary
I'm also the property manager and live on site and am in the process of setting up a mesh network.
The issue I have with cell phones is most of our races are at night and from what I've seen, cells don't do so well. The pit areas aren't lit up as well as the track. Also I run at 1080p 60fps. Being that it is the pits where interviews would be done, it may be ok as long as I get good clean audio.
I'm getting the feeling I'm going to eventually have to move to Vmix to pull off my grand scheme. I hate having to pay their subscription fees. I guess if you want to look pro you have to go with the pro gear.
Somewhat off topic. I stream to YT as a members channel. When we ran as free with ads, I'd get 2-3000 views a month and get around $120 every 3 months. Running as members only, I'm currently at around 200 members and get a little over $500 a month but it's slowly growing by about 20 members a month.
I found that the big ppv guys don't even want to talk to you unless you've got 10k viewers

Reactions: mrshowboat
Sounds like you already got a complex setup going. How are you currently getting audio into OBS?

Behrenger 1820 interface
I checked out vmix and seems like pricing is a lot better than it was a few years ago

You can set up your own PPV gateway for YT, FB etc..

Yeah but then you got to deal with all the BS of CC's , people trying to get refunds "It didn't work". I've got enough stuff on my plate without that. I've always hated the business end of stuff. YT's fee is reasonable. I do wish they would actually do PPV instead of this membership thing. They already have it on their TV thing.

Respectfully, all those things are dealt with by the pay-per-view gateway provider, but I understand your reluctance to get involved with it if you “hate the business end of stuff."

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were talking about creating the paywall from scratch. I did that 20 years ago when I had the brilliant idea to livestream rock crawling races around the country on my own website. Little did I realize all the real costs to do it properly

These days it's all CDNs and AWS storage.

Behrenger 1820 interface
I checked out vmix and seems like pricing is a lot better than it was a few years ago

Trying to understand your current setup, how is the 1820 getting into OBS, is it through the main stereo mix, individual (with the ASIO plugin), a daw etc? How are you monitoring the audio, through OBS, or via 1820 before the signal is sent to OBS etc?

Are you planning to use the M12 as a replacement or adding it to your current setup?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.