Model 12 or Model 16

glocke12

Thinking of either the model 12 or model 16 to use as both a mixer for some synths I have set up and also for recording purposes.

I'd be running a Moog Mother 32/DFMA/Subharmonicon as well as a Matriarch into this, and also would more than likely be using it to record some solo bass stuff from time to time.

In terms of channels the 16 is probably overkill, and I prefer the footprint and apparent portability of the 12 but am kind of intrigued by the all analog pathway of the 16. In the real world, is that something thats even noticeable?

I answered on Gear Slutz, too: at this price point there’s little noticeable difference. I A/B’d the 12 and the 16 and didn’t really hear anything that stood out. If you need the DAW control of the 12, get that - you won’t be sorry. If you want the extra channels and control room outs of the 16 (and can do without the DAW control), get that one. I think you’ll be happy sonically either way.

EDIT: fixed name of forum

Last edited:
Hi glocke12. I am a modular user and play guitar and bass etc... the Model 12 is the best one for you as it has the ability to send MIDI, so you can sync up your modular (if you have a midi to clock module). This makes drop ins possible without going out of time with you sequencers / hardware. Note: the Model 12 has to be 'master'.

Regards audio quality, I know the 12 is digital and the 16 analogue - but the 12 sounds brilliant and you would never guess its digital workings.

Enjoy!

thanks...Got the 12, showed up Thursday but sadly haven't had time to open it yet. The extra channels of the 16 would have been nice, but it's doubtful I'd have actually needed them and I do like the footprint of the 12. Can't wait to get it up and running.

Hi glocke12 - pleased it is with you. It is very very easy to use... I have not got hung up on any of the DAW controller stuff or Audio Interface stuff. Just a tip: If you want to work creatively daw-less but then want to edit the sessions / master the material.... easiest is to just pull the SD card from the Tascam and drag it into your new daw project from a card reader. Takes seconds and is perfect, as everything is synced, as long as you have the daw project at the same time tempo as the Tascam project. Take my advice here... doing it this way will save you hours of trying to figure out USB transfers and the like. Easy :) Me and my buddy knocked out 10 tracks in the blink of an eye... now its in the DAW and hell begins hahaha... ut so much easier than us playing into the DAW via an audio interface: NO Latency... no set up ... no hassle. Just make your sounds :)

What Mudibe & Logrinn said. Same wonderful workflow here on Model 24. No hassle and no latency to handle.

Yea Freebird, I wish over many years of recording into a DAW, when using guitars and bass, that I had seen the error of my ways and had such a tool as an accompaniment to the DAW.

Back in the day I used to record directly to multi-track tape through a console - it was hassle free. And somehow we got lulled into thinking that it was acceptable to put up with several milliseconds of delay when trying to track. Or using clunky work-arounds.

So, having my time again ... I would always track to tape / direct memory (as in the Tascam Models) and then transfer to DAW for softsynths, effects, mixing and mastering.

Bliss :)

Now, the next project.... getting 19 inch rackmounts back into popularity - I'm fed up with having too many 'desktop' units :)

Reactions: -mjk-
mixing and mastering.

Tasks which are better suited to working with a console. I really can't believe that Tascam made it impossible to do a fadeout with these units.

Re the mixing and mastering mjk - I know what you mean re 'hands on', but the 12 only has the short throw faders anyway, so once you get to the bottom of the fade range the sound can jump rather abruptly to off.
I also like to use all my software plugins at the mixing and mastering stage - that's where the DAW shines.... along with automation of levels and everything else.

Also my DAW is wired to my main studio monitors, whereas the Tascam 12 and guitar modelers etc. are in a different part of the studio (its big!) and runs through a Headrush PA system - that rig is used for jamming at 'live volumes' and recording - so almost like a song writting and pre-production suite.

Re the fadeout - when I'm doing a scratch mix for just quick reference or posting out to my buddies, I route the mix through the sub fader, fade that, and the master is then faded (tracks 11 & 12). As I say, it will not do a perfect fade due to the short throw / resolution of the fader, no mater how slow and steady your hand :/

So, using the DAW is in any case the only way to get your fades to perfection.

To add - there are a lot of ways to use the Tascam Model xx - I think I have found the best hassle free workflow for my needs. But I assume everyone has their own way and requirements ... so it's just a case of finding what works for you, bearing in mind a few small limitations.

Reactions: -mjk- and Logrinn

New threads

Members online

No members online now.