Model 16 FX output locks menu

silksow

From
Los Angeles
Gear owned
Model 16
Hi, new owner having a great time getting to know this machine. Had plenty of face palm moments but hard to believe I'm the first to mention this issue if it's expected behavior:

When inserting a TRS cable into the FX output, the menu controls become unresponsive. Display continues to show levels, signal is passed properly to outboard device or headphones, but buttons and wheel do nothing until the cable is removed from the output. Menu controls are responsive when connecting Mon1 and 2 outputs.

Can anyone reproduce? Latest firmware. Thanks very much.

[EDIT: 4/20/2021 SOLUTION: Power cycle with cable connected. Power cycle lol, the 1st thing you mock them for suggesting.]

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Yep - my M16 does the same thing. Plug into the FX output and the menu locks up. Unplug from it and all goes back to normal. Using a TRS cable as well.

Reactions: silksow
Make sure you are all using the latest firmware. If so, you need to report that to Tascam immediately.

I've just heard back from support:

"Our engineering department is working on a permanent solution to this behavior. In the meantime, they suggest connecting the cable prior to powering the unit on (preferred) or to cycle the mixer's power if the cable was plugged in while the unit was already on."

So! Known issue, encouraging! I know these are pretty new units, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's owned one for a while with thoughts on reliability. I have to give it to their support team, if they'd taken another couple days to reply I'd have for sure returned the thing. And that would have made me very sad, because this thing is super fun.

Reactions: Freebird and -mjk-
I’ve had mine since they were released and this is the first thing I would consider a problem with it.

I’ll try hooking it up and turning it on to see what happens.

Reactions: silksow
Anyway, I guess it's a known issue now lol - the reply to me asking if it was:

"To be honest, this is a new issue (discovered by you) that they are definitely working on a solution for."

Reactions: Freebird and -mjk-
Thanks for reporting it! Tascam has been very responsive every time I’ve reached out to them.

Glad you’re enjoying yours - I love mine.

OK! My update is that if you do plug into the FX output while the board is off, when you turn it on, all the menu controls work and you do get to use the FX as a third aux send. Right now my FX menu is ON as well, so that doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

Nice to have three working sends now, too! But it does eat up channels. I think I'll use the RCA inputs on 13/14 and see how that works for a return.

Today I found a Utube video that mentions this issue!
And he has told Tascam about it.

The "FX-issue" starts at 1:50

New threads

Members online