Model 16 - multitrack recorder and sound comparation

tom_beast

From
Croatia
Gear owned
Tascam Model 16
Greetings from Croatia.

Sorry, but I've used the search in every way, I can't find an answer to this question.
Also I can't figure out the answer from the block diagram.

So - when I record the input from the daw program (fl studio), in what way is the recorded material touched with the "analog" operation of the mixer?
I use 8 channels (4 stereo), I connect the output from the fl studio to each channel of the mixer and record the song.

When I transfer the same song back to daw, arrange the panning and export to wav, the song I recorded through the mixer has a slightly "deeper" sound than the classic export from the daw program.
There are also fewer peaks, visible in daw.

Am I imagining this or is the sound recorded from the computer somehow processed analogically when recording to the sd card?
I know that eq settings, compressor and gain dont work when using interface.

Thanks!

I don't know if I'm following you or not, but if you're running your signal through the channels, there's going to be a definite change in the sound, due to the conversion to analog signal, then back again.

In short - if I use the mixer as an audio interface and record sound from the DAW program, I noticed certain changes in the sound - not drastic, but there are some. I am talking about direct recording on the SD card when the signal comes from the DAW program - the signal then does not come into contact with the gain and compressor knob.

But in the end, I work in another way, where the "analog" sound comes to its full expression - I send 1 stereo daw channel to the sub group and, using the cable, return the same group to the classic analog input on the other two free channels.

I send the other stereo daw channel to MON 1 and MON 2 (I use that as a "sub" group) and also route it back to free channels using a cable.

I adjust the gain as needed and in the end I get a really different sound than the digital export from the program.

"Warmer" sound, as if I use saturation in daw.

Fewer peaks, more pronounced low mid and high frequencies.

The only drawback is that I can record a maximum of 2 stereo channels at the same time, due to the number of possible subgroups, but it doesn't matter - I have 4-5 stem channels, so it's not a problem to record 2-3 times.

Again, it's not a digital signal all the way through - it gets converted to analog. The only digital part of the M16 is the recorder/interface. The rest is analog.

Reactions: tom_beast
@tom_beast In the Model 16 the Send point is placed after Compressor then both what is recorded on respective tracks and the signal sent to USB will be affected by Trim/Gain, Low Cut and Compressor settings. Return point (what is coming from USB or respective MTR tracks) is placed right before channel equalizer, then what you hear will be affected by Equalizer, Pan and Fader (channel track is always recorded pre-fader).
Hope it helps

Reactions: tom_beast and -mjk-
Thanks Max - you're more eloquent than I and more technical, too. Glad you got it sorted, Tom!

Reactions: Max Relic

New threads

Members online