Model 16 - Track Editing

Rayf Hellroy

Gear owned
Model 16
Greetings,

Quick question about editing tracks on the Tascam Model 16. Coming from the world of the Fostex VF-160, I would record 3 or 4 versions of a song in one file, pick the best one, and then edit/delete the other versions on that same file. The resulting one-take file would then be finalized and mixed. So, is this same edit function available on the Model 16? I can’t find it anywhere in the manual. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rayf

I'm also wondering about this. I just recorded a number of takes of a single song for a band playing live. I want to try to print the stereo master just using the Model 16 and not have to transfer everything to computer and them edit it there. Let's say my entire session is 50 minutes, but I only want to print 10 minutes of it as a stereo master to export. Is this possible? I will transfer the tracks to computer, trim, and then re-import into the Model 16 if I have to, but I would love any advice on how to trim and edit a long file within the machine itself.

Thanks for anyone out there with any tips or hints!
Anthony

Thanks for the info. Alright, very good to know. Next time each take will be its own song, I guess. Any tips for making the naming process easier? Spinning that little jog wheel around can get tiresome!

Beyond that, though, I absolutely love the Model 16. It is really slick and fun to record to and use for live sound.

To make it a little bit easer... I would create and pre-name a number of empty songs like Take1, Take2, Take3 on so forth. And then only change song in the menu before recording next version in next song(take2,take3 etc). And then use the best version and delete the other songs/takes.

Thanks, Freebird!
I may do that prep for the next session. I think it might be easier to just use the auto-generated song name that the machine assigns, and just make notes of the takes by hand in my notebook.

I wonder if we could petition Tascam to include an update that would make the auto-generated song name a bit less crazy. Like just (Song1) or something, and so on. Or at least have an option in the settings where one could choose the format for the song name, so those who prefer the date default can keep it, but those who would like a word (Song or Take, or a simple numeral lik 01, 02, 03, etc.) could select that as the default.

Also, it would be great if, after one selected a letter by clicking down on the toggle wheel, the cursor just stayed where you had it instead of resetting back to the beginning. How do we make these suggestions?

Again, I love this thing, just think there are a few interface designs that could be smoothed out for the user.

Reactions: Freebird
@Krooanthony
"I wonder if we could petition Tascam to include an update that would make the auto-generated song name a bit less crazy. Like just (Song1) or something, and so on."

This feature already exist.
Go to System>Song Name and change the setting from Date (default) to Word and edit this to "Song".
Done.

Thanks so much, Logrinn!
This forum is really helpful.

Spinning that little jog wheel around can get tiresome!

I understand that at least one person's decision to purchase a Model 16 over a Digital Portastudio was based in part on the fact that the DP machines menus are "jog wheel based."

He... I also have to agree with MJK. ONE of several other reasons I got the Model 24 was the fact that I wanted something that resembles my old Portastudio 244. And Model 24 & 16 & even the more "digital" Model 12 are like a Portastudio "on steroids"! Just with more channels and more possibilities than my old buddy 244. I like the "hands on" feel of the Model 24.

And the fact that the time (minutes,hours,days,weeks,months,years ;))... you have to spent digging through menus on a miniscule screen all the time, are minimized compare to the DP machines.

It would be nice though... if it was possible to connect a BIG computer screen directly to the machine so one could have the menus on a screen that you don't have to have a magnifying glass to see what the heck's going on...:twisted::LOL:;)

Reactions: Muzz and -mjk-
Freebird - can't see the screen..... LOL .... I have this problem on nearly all of my gear now. Age, it's a bugger. I have modular synths where the writting is so tiny; I had to ask a younger buddy the other day at a jam to tell me what it said :/ Made us both laugh though.

Reactions: Freebird and -mjk-
A flat plastic Fresnel lens is a life saver in those situations. You can carry it in a shirt pocket.

Screen? Does it have a screen? I haven't noticed that. I see that there is some kind of "window" in the upper right corner, but I thought it was some kind of commercial gimmick. He...:ugeek:;)

Reactions: Muzz and -mjk-
When i had my old tascam 2488 i seem to remember someone came up with some kind of interface that connected to a computer monitor, you had to fit it inside the 2488, cant remember what it was called though.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.