Model 16 with Reaper

Stui

Gear owned
Model 16
Hi folks,
Have just replaced a very old Mac mini with a 2018 model running Ventura and Reaper. Planning on using the Model 16 as my interface.
Reaper won't see the Model 16 at all. I've downloaded the drivers and installed successfully a couple of times, restarted, but my Tascam Model Mixer Settings Panel only shows the software version - firmware, device and sample rates show as blank.
Any ideas? I'm stumped.
Thanks
Stu

I should add that SD card files appear on my desktop, so the USB connection is working.
Tascam doesn't show up in the Audio Midi Setup window though. All other midi devices present and accounted for.
Stu

If you can see the SD card on the USB interface, I believe that means the computer sees the Model 16 as a storage device and not as an audio interface. Is there a USB configuration menu where you can check that?

Not sure mjk. I had the guys from my local distributor on the phone yesterday and they ran through all the requirements on the Mac with me. They're also stumped and are calling Tascam tomorrow.

As the resident maroon, I'm probably not the best one to address this. And you haven't given any details about O/S version.
But in my experience, setting up audio devices in OSX usually involves going to the System Preferences panel - usually under the "Sound" pane - and designating your audio device as Input, Output, or both...sorry I don't have a screenshot for you, but I'm too stewpyd to route a microphone, let alone post/link a screenshot...
Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks shredd. Sorry - should have mentioned I'm on Ventura OS.
Have tried the above but the Tascam doesn't appear so I can't select it.

Hm...sure doesn't sound like it's the OS that's not recognizing the M16...but the M16 isn't "presenting" itself to the Mac connection as a sound device. I suspect that this is something you have to "tell" the M16 to do...
Sadly, I'm not able to tell you how that's done - I'm a PortaStudio guy. Was just putting in my $0.02...
But the solution might be in the manual?!?
The good news is that I've preserved my stature as the resident maroon around here...
Good luck!!!

I spend 3 minutes and found the answer on the user manual, page 51. Just like I said above: your Model 16 is in Storage Mode. RTM please as you will see the Model 16 cannot operate in storage mode and audio mode at the same time. It's one or the other.

Tascam is definitely not in storage mode. I activated that only test the usb connection, and confirmed that files can be transferred.

However, the usb light on the Tascam only illuminates when in storage mode. I'm starting to think its a problem with the unit - local Tascam reps have been unable to help.

Tascam is definitely not in storage mode. I activated that only test the usb connection, and confirmed that files can be transferred.

However, the usb light on the Tascam only illuminates when in storage mode. I'm starting to think its a problem with the unit - local Tascam reps have been unable to help.
  1. You yourself put it in storage mode to test it.
  2. The unit only lights in storage mode.
  3. It is "definitely" not in storage mode.
  4. USB audio does not work.
Is the storage indicator light on or off?

Two hours today trouble shooting with my local distributor (thanks again guys!), all Model 16 and Ventura OS avenues explored including getting it up and running on another machine running Monterey, and no luck.
Last ditch suggestion - let's swap the USB cable even though it worked for file transfer and for audio on the Monterey machine, and it worked!
Damn, I feel like a stooge.....
Thanks for chipping in mjk and others, really appreciate it.
Stu

Reactions: -mjk-
@Stui on the unofficial Behringer forums, the mods frequently suggest replacing USB cables because they do actually wear out. Now I feel bad because I failed to bring that up. In the end though, you got it running while also providing a good resolution for the forum knowledge base.

All good. Should have been the first thing I ran to ground but it all appeared to be ok. Pays to buy good cables - the best guess we came up with was that noise or interface was preventing audio transfer. Working flawlessly now, thanks.

Reactions: Logrinn and -mjk-
glad you got it sorted. It kind of makes sense to test/replace the cheapest part of the chain first .

not that I always remember my own advice hehe

Reactions: -mjk- and Logrinn

New threads

Members online

No members online now.