Model 24/16/12 Wish List / Feature Requests (Although Tascam Won't See Them)

In fact I like to see more DAW integration. It would be nice if the Mackie Control can get extended with (and/or CC assignment):
- Control of all Pots like EQ and FX
- Control of all the switches

And +1000 for the tape emulation fx. Tascam is known for their tape and have a distinctive sound. Some reel-to-reel with varispeed etc. emulation used by famous sound engineers of the past would be awesome.

Some good emulation of Bi-Phaser, Altec 9069 filter, spring reverb, vintage tape delay

For Dubbers it would be awesome, because then you can really live/realtime mix your tracks by physically moving the faders/pots and switches. Automation of those is secondary

In fact I can see a good commercial/campaign strategy with the dub-community if they pull something off like this -> For e.g. Lee scratch perry had a tascam 4-track as center in his studio amd build upon that.

Now they are using MIDI controllers, like launchpad or akai mix because of the lack of good hybrid controllers.

My first post.

What an awesome Forum!

My ask is for AutoDivide (between marks) like the DR-40 recorder. And a duplicate function.

Such a simple feature but has many uses. Trimming out a good bits. Or takes. Loops.

Vamp can get some of this, if planned in advance. But for a device that is prime to capture live jams and spontaneous stuff that happens when musicians gather, it would be great to have some basic slice and dice abilities.

Would presumably have to apply to all tracks at once to keep programming easy and not create the need for more track management.

i wish i could connect my model 16 to an ipad through bluetooth w/o cable
is it possible technically

Reactions: -mjk-
Also I wish to be able to record while using Vamp on the Model 12

I’d see this as a chooser

Vamp - all channels/no record (eg function as today)
OR
Vamp+Record - records all channels set to “Live Input”+ Vamped playback of PC/MPC channels to Master buss.

that way user could create a loop from some spontaneous (or intentional) bit of jamming g and then play another instrument over the vamp to fill a new song

presumably this would have to come with some kind of pop-up at the end of playback: “save over as new master and clear all song vamp points” or “do not save new master/keep existing Vamp points”.

for song writing on the Device it would be amazing.

it would be worth a further limitation on number of vamps / durations.

i wish i could connect my model 16 to an ipad through bluetooth w/o cable
is it possible technically

You can use an external Bluetooth dongle, but it would only be one way, and the latency would drive you crazy.

I just want some basic things:

1. Better support for SD cards. Either my Model 24 is faulty, or the support for various SD cards is just severely limited. Even one of the few brands on their "officially supported" list doesn't work.

2. Limiter on the master bus / mix down. We should be able to raise the overall volume of the mixes (to something like -10 LUFS) without having to do that in a DAW.

Reactions: Rocky
1. Better support for SD cards. Either my Model 24 is faulty, or the support for various SD cards is just severely limited. Even one of the few brands on their "officially supported" list doesn't work.

It's actually the other way around. Digital recording is very hard on SD cards - much more difficult than digital photography or videography. You can't really make digital recording "support" lower specification SD cards. The official list is regularly updated but there are bound to be anomalies.

Please give us details of the SD card you used that was on the list but didn't function properly.

Thank you. If by chance you happen to do a firmware update on the Model 24, it's highly recommended to reformat the SD card immediately after the new firmware update. That really goes across the board with all of these digital audio recorders.

That’s a good idea, MJK - I hadn’t really thought of that before now. Thanks!

Reactions: -mjk-
@Blue Monster 65 the DP gurus have been recommending that for quite some time. It stands to reason and it's one thing that's too easy not to do.

Reactions: Freebird
Easy fixes re tempo, now that tempo is crucial for vamp:

A) Change tap tempo switch. Make it so a LONG press (+1 sec) turns click on or off, and a SHORT press--i.e. a "tap"--automatically sets tap tempo. The requirement to open a menu in order to tap something is ridiculous. My friends keep tapping the "tap tempo" button and it doesn't do anything. Use it as designed!

(And if you ever retool, add a cheap pot for click volume, seriously. I cannot believe that I need to either give up rapid no-menu volume adjustment or waste an entire bus.) Just have 75 pots instead of 74, sheesh. I know that's major, though.)

B) Make click sound choice & volume global, because they usually ARE global. I'd put "count in" in global, too, because I think that's more of an individual "what we do every time" preference and not a per song preference. Changing sound every song is a pain.

Harder fixes re tracks (though much more important, if possible)

1) Ability to set individual tracks to loop, while recording other tracks. Honestly, I'd be fine even if this behavior was stuck on a single "rhythm" track, i.e. "you can only loop track 6"

2) better yet, ability to set individual in/out loop points for tracks, ideally sync-able to tempo beats/bars like the vamp function. Again, even if you could only do this on a single "rhythm channel" that would be better than what we have now.

3) Ability to delete or copy sections of a track. Ideally both by position and also by beats/bars. Even if it is very simple (maybe you can only delete from the start/end? Maybe you can only paste @ end?) it would be a HUGE improvement because it would allow for the creation of a basic bare bones tempo-synced loop over which to record.

Fully agree with the above. Great ideas about tap Tempo improvements.

For #3 above, I am hoping Tascam use the implementation of the “divide” feature they have on the DR series that lets you cut a file at your marks (or punch in/outs point.

I would add an even more simple request: a DUPLICATE (double) a whole track feature in addition to swap.

last night I moved a mono track onto stereo track 7 to free up a track during a live band recording situation. In order to make that track good for playback, I ended up connecting to a laptop and using file manager to duplicate track 7, rename it track 8. Worked perfectly in the end, but what a pain ‘twas vs potentially having in as in the MTR menu .., and not possible at the rehearsal.

This would also useful if you want to try a punch in tofix but are unsure if it will workout and want to keep an original.

"i wish i could connect my model 16 to an ipad through bluetooth w/o cable
is it possible technically"

Honestly, no. Not in real life. Most Bluetooth connections can barely seem to handle bidirectional compressed audio, they drop ll the time, they are subject to interference, etc.

Reactions: Phillip Holbrook
My wish is simple. I'd like the mode switch and compressor knob swapped so they represent the signal flow from top to bottom. Or the software updated so that the Mode switch comes first. It's the only fly in the Model 12 ointment I've found so far.

Thank you. If by chance you happen to do a firmware update on the Model 24, it's highly recommended to reformat the SD card immediately after the new firmware update. That really goes across the board with all of these digital audio recorders.

I meant to reply to this sooner, but I was on firmware 1.5. I updated to 1.6 and it didn't help. It still doesn't accept the Transcend UHS-I SD 300S.

Tascam 12 - Native support for Harrison MixBus. I am only getting Main fader of the controls to work so far.

This is less of a wishlist and more of a "fix"thread these days ;)

I meant to reply to this sooner, but I was on firmware 1.5. I updated to 1.6 and it didn't help. It still doesn't accept the Transcend UHS-I SD 300S.
There were two steps: (1) update (2) reformat. The order of those is important. You only mentioned #1. Did you do both?

If in doubt about #2 I would reformat the card to an entirely different system--maybe use your digital camera or something--and then force a tascam reformat, to be sure.

For what it's worth, I am using the 256G version of that card on my T12, no problems yet. And of course it's always possible you just got a bum card, for the low price of a 16G I would maybe try that out too.

I would add an even more simple request: a DUPLICATE (double) a whole track feature in addition to swap.
That would be handy.

Also it would be nice to be able to do a MONO export of a selected track--there is no real reason to allow for stereo mix export, but not "track 1 mono export." The Tascam allows for mono IMPORT from the "music" folder; why not allow the reverse?

Finally, it would be very nice to allow for renaming or multiple exports of the stereo mix. Right now there's no way to do that.

Mono export. I guess you mean mix down to a mono file rather than a stereo file post all EQ’s and faders?

To get track 1 itself is easy - just go into the MTR folder and copy the file. Track in MTR are all mono and will be whatever you recorded “live”.

Model 12 only: that recording can be captured pre or post compressor, or post EQ selectable via menu.

New threads

Members online