Model 24/16/12 Wish List / Feature Requests (Although Tascam Won't See Them)

This is less of a wishlist and more of a "fix"thread these days ;)

There were two steps: (1) update (2) reformat. The order of those is important. You only mentioned #1. Did you do both?

If in doubt about #2 I would reformat the card to an entirely different system--maybe use your digital camera or something--and then force a tascam reformat, to be sure.

For what it's worth, I am using the 256G version of that card on my T12, no problems yet. And of course it's always possible you just got a bum card, for the low price of a 16G I would maybe try that out too.

Yes, of course I reformatted. It's not a bum card since it always worked with no problem on my Mac. But I haven't tried formatting in a camera. Somehow I suspect it will make no difference, but I'll try it anyway and report back... ;)
This item in my "wishlist" is mainly that their officially supported cards worked. But better support for more types would be even better. I came from an old Zoom R16 that could record on any card I put in it.

Reactions: Phillip Holbrook
Well in all fairness, the R16 is limited to 8 simultaneous tracks @ 44.1 kHz. The Model 24 is 24 simultaneous tracks @ 48 kHz, so it isn't surprising that the 24 will have more card limitations.

I would love to see DAW software designed to work in tandem with the hardware. All mixing could still be done within the unit but you can visually view the tracks and maybe edit them on your computer. My current workflow involved importing/exporting files between the M12 and my computer and then using the M12 as a DAW controller.

How would the DAW software be any different? What you describe is already possible.

I agree you can use the M12 as an Audio Interface with a DAW and view everything you're doing in the software. I want to record directly to the M12 but also see a track/mixer view on a bigger screen with basic capabilities like doing multiple takes. I imagine Tascam would have to develop their own proprietary DAW software but there might be away to add a plug-in to existing DAWs.

Reactions: Rocky and -mjk-
There's a sticky video demonstrating it can be done with a Model 16. That video shows the DAW track/edit view as the tracks are being recorded on both the Model 16 and the DAW.

At least that's the claim:
"Tascam Model 16 vs Logic Pro X - Recording Simultaneously Into A Multitrack Recorder & Your Computer"

Last edited:
I agree you can use the M12 as an Audio Interface with a DAW and view everything you're doing in the software. I want to record directly to the M12 but also see a track/mixer view on a bigger screen with basic capabilities like doing multiple takes. I imagine Tascam would have to develop their own proprietary DAW software but there might be away to add a plug-in to existing DAWs.

Sorry, but a plugin to do what? Every DAW has a mixer view, and they can all do multiple takes. I'm not following you. But, it doesn't really matter because I don't work for Tascam.

There's a sticky video demonstrating it can be done with a Model 16. That video shows the DAW track/edit view as the tracks are being recorded on both the Model 16 and the DAW.

At least that's the claim:
"Tascam Model 16 vs Logic Pro X - Recording Simultaneously Into A Multitrack Recorder & Your Computer"

Thanks Mark, that video helps and his opinion is why I want to record exclusively to the M12 instead of into my computer.

To put a cap on my wish and hopefully clarify, just imagine have a display port on the back of the Tascam 12/16/24 and you could hookup an external monitor to view tracks/mixer.

I have a very old (~20 years) AKAI DPS16 and someone developed low-level software to do something similiar. All you had to do is connect the recorder to your computer using MIDI.

Again, this is only a wish. Anyways, after recording all my tracks, I plan on moving them into Logic and then use the M12 as a DAW controller for mixdown...at this point, I will be in Heaven. :)

Reactions: Rocky
Charlemagne Kid said:
I have a very old (~20 years) AKAI DPS16 and someone developed low-level software to do something similiar. All you had to do is connect the recorder to your computer using MIDI.
Yes! I used to work with the Akai DPS-16, synchronized to Cubase on a PC with this software. It was a fantastic combo, having all sequenced MIDI synths in sync with the recorded audio on the DPS.

Reactions: Rocky and -mjk-
I have a DP-008EX and was considering a Model 24 when I noticed in the online manual that you can’t direct locate via bars/measures or beats. Perhaps this is a limitation of the hardware? Direct locate via measures isn’t available on the DP-008EX either. But it is available on the DP-24–says so in the DP-24 manual. This is quite a shame for both the 008 and the Model 24 as I consider the ability to position the playback head by measure/best a fundamental must-have. It is very annoying to have to calculate by mins, seconds and “frames” (30 FPS) on the 008– and the resulting position isn’t accurate/granular enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
The Model series are mixers with SD card recorders and a USB interface. From the outset they were designed to integrate with a DAW for editing. There is a lot to be said about the full sized Portastudios with regard to editing.

When comparing, make sure you check the manual for the DP-24SD, as the DP-24/32 are no longer available.

Yes - this. Model 12’s has a setting to switch display between elapsed time vs bars and beats.

Of course the bars and beats feature only is meaningful and accurate if you record to the built in metronome click track (which is very nice) and/or a midi-synced drum machine (I have a trusty old Alesis that works like a charm via a midi cable) or drum track.

IMHO this is a HUGE distinctive feature of the Model 12 that makes it a much better companion for writing songs one track at a time than all the others.

PS I haven’t figured out how to get my DAW to receive or link to the Model 12’s midi time & tempo grid information- anyone have luck with that?

I am aware that this function is available for the model 12 but is possible to add this function in the next system update?

Would be nice if Tascam did, but when I asked about the vamp feature on the M12 being ported to the M16, I was told there were no plans to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freebird
Well, I'm on my second day with M12.

One thing that would be really, really nice is to be able to create a song template that can be pulled up to start your new recording. Something like: SONG>NEW>FROM TEMPLATE where I would already have chosen, 24/48, Metronome ON, 110 BPM, etc.

Even SONG>COPY would work. I could create a SONG named Template with all settings ready to go. Hit SONG>COPY then rename the new version and record on that.

Also, this unit is BEGGING for a Librarian Software whereby I could have Song Templates at the ready to load up, or name songs, name tracks, or anything else done by the jog wheel.

Last edited:
We do song templates on the Portastudio every day. Why can't you do them on the model 12?

I don't know. When you create a NEW SONG it currently can't be copied or duplicated with a new name or SAVE AS. As it stands, if I want to record a new idea, I have to set up a new song from scratch. There may be a way to do it by saving a copy onto the Mac using storage mode, but that requires 1) having the Mac on and 2) the T12 always connected. I may try it with storage mode to see if it works.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.