Model 24/16/12 Wish List / Feature Requests (Although Tascam Won't See Them)

Nick Walsh

Gear owned
Model 24
I don't know if anyone from Tascam reads these posts, but in case they do I thought we could start a wish list for future firmware updates.

Mine would be for the ability to move recorded tracks. I'm finding that having only 2 inserts / instrument level channels is quite limiting. I want to use outboard gear (gate/compressor) on my vocals, but not have to then manually bounce each recorded track via the sub mix to another channel so I can record another part on channel 1 or 2.

This site is not connected with Teac or Tascam. But my all means, express your opinions.

Yes, this would be my #1 wish, if it is even possible.

I read online some where , Joe Stopka of TASCAM mentioned recently that they were working on some firmware updates for the Model 24 based on users feedback. This was after the last firmware update, so lets hope that one makes it.

Reactions: Matthew Fogel
I think bouncing is the big one. It would also be cool to maybe see a programmable click track? Not really necessary, but itd be cool if it had tape noises, like when rewinding or fast forwarding. Just anything to make it more than possible to work 100% from the model 24 itself.

Turn off bright Bluetooth LED. Got tape over it now. Extremely distracting especially since it is in close to the screen area.

Pedal option to start a new recording. Not just for punch in/out.

Easier song naming on board. Needs a full delete option of text instead of one by one.
This has always drove me nuts on all of my other Tascam Portastudios.
Have to put it on my PC to get it changed as it is.

Speed control to slow down tracks when recording. I could do that on my digital Roland 880 with the pitch control.

Reactions: Tony Friel
Itd also be pretty useful if we can record multiple takes on a single channel onto an SD. Not sure how it would work, but I'd love to see it happen.

Or some advanced midi functionality. The model 12 is basically a midi controlle . Cant the 24 do the same?

Hello amazing responsive Tascam forum!
It would be so handy to be able to use the repeat feature to repeat a section of a song from the current marker to the next marker, or to the end of the song if the playhead is already past the last marker.
Autopunch mode settings would have priority over these repeat settings, right?
Thank you :)

I wish I could name individual tracks. That way I could just go ahead and make a song template and know which wav file is what without having to consult a track sheet. Lazy I know, but this would mean you would have to have access to the MTR folder on the machine instead of having to only access it via PC. Having access to this would also mean that you could import individual tracks into a new song and EQ and process whatever effects you want and record those changes. Then you could replace the original non processed track with the one you had just changed. The option for mono mixdown for that application would be good. Would open up a lot of possibilities to do most everything inside the Model 24/16.

Access to MTR and being able to edit the track files/names. Pretty please???

Model 12 goodness: A fine machine.

1/ However, the ability to position an imported wav file accurately on the 'timeline / track' would be a very handy feature.
At the moment, importing a wav file just places it to start immediately at the beginning of the track. This has limited uses. Being able to specify where the wav is placed on the track in hours : minutes : seconds : frames or even bars: beats: ppq would make import a much more creative and useful feature, allowing placement of one-shots, backing atmos, samples, loops.

2/ In emulating the old-school analogue mixer/tape workflow, it would be good if a vari-speed was available as found on most traditional tape machines. Particularly the ability to slow down playback for recording. Similarly, back in the day, we could 'flip' the tape so it played backwards, allowing us to create backwards guitar passages etc. This would be a nice feature.

3/ Finally, rather than having to jerry rig something for bounce downs, would it be possible to have a 'Bounce Tracks 1-8 to 9/10 with current mix' feature?

Hope this is a good place to post suggestions :) Thanks.

Hi @Maudibe and welcome. I have no issues with your wish list, but the Model series was designed to be a bare-bones type recorder, and anything requiring editing would be done in a DAW. What you are describing is something that is easily accomplished in the Digital Portastudios. As for varispeed, that is something that resides in the domain of analog tape, but a DAW can emulate that to a reasonable degree.

You're welcome to send those suggestions to Tascam. I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to be implemented. For one thing, the hardware doesn't support bouncing without patch cables. The Model 24/16/12 are not Portastudios by any means.

Thanks MJK. Agreed - just trying to avoid the DAW for my little 'guitar with friends' excursions. We use found sound backing tracks to make a bed for improvisation, so the ability to specify a bar or time for an audio import would be sweet. My work around at the moment is to record a long piece with silence at the start until the desired in point for the backing ambience. Bit of a pain, but do-able.

Regarding the bare bones, I do agree with that philosophy, but a few creature comforts never went amiss :)

Who do I mail with suggestions. Can you post an address please? Thanks, Steve

Reactions: -mjk-
I hear you on those points Steve. Sure beats dragging a laptop around and mousing everything. Unfortunately I don't have any contacts at Tascam. I've never contacted them, actually. Thanks.

Steve - there's a Tascam support web page - not sure if it's suitable for suggestions, but what have you got to lose? ;)
Go to tascam.com
Click Support near top-right to reveal 4 drop-down topics.
Third one down is Contact.
To the right of that is 'Contact Support', so click that and fill in the form.
If you change the country/region from the default US, you might have to go round the loop again and you may see a different type of form or just a phone number. I usually just 'forget' to change this ;)

Reactions: Rocky
Thanks Phil.

I have emailed Tascam Support (Europe) ... let's see if they get back to me :)

Last edited:
Just an update on the result of emailing Tascam Support Europe. No response. Marvellous.

Even if it is the wrong department, you would think after spending the cash on their gear that a reply of some sort would be in order. Oh well. I will bundle them alongside Arturia in the hopeless bin.

Actually, I'll take that back a little bit - Arturia did reply and engage, just that they had no clue about their product's workings. :)

Reactions: Phillip Holbrook

New threads

Members online