Model 24 Analog EQ vs DAW

Tripp

Gear owned
Tascam Model 24
I bought the TASCAM Model 24 a couple of weeks ago, and I had a chance to record my blues rock band this past weekend. Recording was very easy and intuitive (at least to me) and it went off without a hitch. The tracks sounded great!

The next day, I did a quick EQ and mix using the Model 24 with the built in effects, and recorded that right into my DAW using a stereo track. (I patched into 21/22 from the sub out and recorded that directly. I didn't think about just copying the Mains recording.) I made an mp3 of the recording and it sounded great!

The next day, I went into storage mode and copied all the tracks and imported them directly into my DAW (Digital Performer) into separate tracks so that I could get a more "professional" mix. But I gotta tell you, no matter how much I tried ITB, I couldn't produce a mix that sounded as good as the quick mix I did right off of the analog section of the Model 24. I used Digital Performer's own MW EQ, and even went online to find some hardware EQ emulators to try and get the mix to sound as punchy as the Model 24. Admittedly, that's the first time I didn't mix ITB, (well, since the cassette days anyway), and instead mixed analog.

Is this typical? Does digital EQ struggle to equal the quality of an analog console? I mean, we're talking a consumer product here, vs Digital Performer. Granted, I know this is all subjective, but I think the Model 24 mixing capabilities (as simple as they are) are stellar.

Now, I wish the Model 24 had a way to more easily get to a single track after the fader, rather than having to resort to the sub out trick, or coping of the Mains recording two tracks at a time. But, I suppose we can't have it all.

It all about color. All those 70s and 80s tunes were done analog. Try using the console to mix the tracks and use the DAW as a playback machine only.

I just bought a Tascam Model 24 to mic 12 drums and run it into Garage Band or Reaper. The signal into the daw is very low. Does anybody have the same problem? Thx

I didn't have that experience. With the input levels hitting the guide line in the Model 24 display (not the MAINS level, but the individual track levels from the display), the levels inside my DAW per track was around -18 to -12 db, which is what you want per channel.

@MikeF that's by design. The Line on the display and on the LEDs for 0 is actually -12 db. This represents where the analog components just start to breakup (giving a bit of warmth) but the digital recording still has 12 db of headroom to prevent clipping. This is on purpose so that you can mix in an analog workflow without digitally clipping the WAV files. I find that the noise floor of the micpre's (-124 I think) is so quiet that I can just normalize the wave files once I'm in Reaper and then start my digital mixing workflow.

Reactions: Aldo66

New threads

Members online

No members online now.