Model 24 - blows fuses

KPB44

Gear owned
Model 24
I had my model 24 for just over a year and I noticed that when I turned it on occasionally there would be a louder click than usual coming from the unit. Over the next couple of months it got louder. I’d cringe every time I turned it on. Eventually it blew the fuse. After changing the fuse, it worked ok, then the clicks and bang started again. Eventually the power board went producing a burnt plastic smell. I stopped using it.

Inspecting the power board, I found a burnt component, I think it’s a polyfuse of some sort. I’m not an electronics expert by any means, but i think it’s function it to absorb the inrush of current to the DC DC converters during switch on.

I ordered a new power board from Germany and fitted it. It’s been working now ok for six months but yesterday I heard the dreaded loud click when switching on again. Seems the new power board has a few months at best left.

I use mine twice every day, so the issue shows up after it’s been switched on 3 to 6 hundred times.

I can’t have been unlucky enough to get two faulty power boards, has anybody else had this issue with the model 24? I am in the UK so on 240v AC.

The inrush current happens during power up. In several studios I've worked in over the years, they never turned the equipment off. That prevented the power up issues. You may want to consider doing that.

or get a replacement each time it happens, product is obviously not fit for it's function. Here in Australia, every product must last a reasonable life expectancy. Regardless of any stated warranty. For instance, a fridge needs to last 5 years at least .

Fourth power surge on turn on today.

I’m leaving it switched on between the two daily sessions, but not looking good.

I feel for you, but why aren't you making these "reports" to TASCAM instead of us? It's obviously unique to your unit (at least, on this forum). There's nothing we can do about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Well, the first fuse blew today. So the second power board is definitely on the way out.

Am I the only one with this fault or am I the only one on this forum who uses the model 24 every day?

I don’t think Tascam will help, the approved repairers didn’t want to know last time. Mine is out of warranty, and as I’m the only one getting this fault, can’t prove a design inherent defect. Not sure I can keep spending out replacing the power board. Not sure what to do with it.

Sad, I really liked it.

Edit,: Changed the fuse, blew again after switching on twice. No longer usable.

Last edited:
I signed up to this forum just to let you know that you're not alone with this problem.

I am also in the UK and had the exact same progression from power surges on power up, to blown fuses, to burning plastic. In the end I had to take it to the recycling centre.

After a lot of hesitation I bought a replacement, which I am now using with a power conditioner. I'm hopeful that will help with the problem. Like you I love the unit. Here's hoping this second one lasts...

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.