Model 24 Reading Live Input as Hot While Nothing Playing

gdogpwns

Gear owned
Model 24, Portastudio 424
I just got a Model 24 this week and have been noticing some strange things. I have been trying to figure out if these are user error problems, known bugs, or if I have a busted unit. I am currently running the latest firmware, 1.63.

These are the issues I am experiencing that may be user error:
  • Sometimes on boot, I get a Codec Error. Not sure if this has happened since I updated the firmware.
  • Sometimes tracks do not want to read into/out of my DAW unless I reboot the unit a few times.
  • The unit makes pops that plays when the master fader is up but all channels are muted/faders down.
But the issue that I find most confusing is that it is showing input on the meters sometimes when nothing is connected to them. I have a video of this issue posted at the link below. This video is with the Model 24 running the latest firmware.

Are these known bugs? Or should I return my Model 24 for a different unit.

Thank you.

Update: Just booted it up immediately after this post. Throwing "CODEC error 30 Please PWR off".

Update 2: Tascam said they had never heard of this error before. I cannot find anything on the forum or Google about this. Just sent it back under warranty.

Proof the error exists:
A5386-F02-A6-D7-4-FB6-A226-4-B1-A4-E187401.jpg

dcZ6pVR

I watched your video. The first thing I would have done is to disconnect every cable from the unit and see if you still got those meter fluctuations. Then I would have plugged the cables in 1 x 1 until I found the culprit.

But with that Codec error I think you did the right thing just sending it back.

Reactions: gdogpwns
Thank you for the advice -mjk-. I was getting the fluctuations with or without inputs/SD card/USB cable plugged in.

Interestingly, Tascam support said I am the first person to ever have this issue on record! That's worth something I guess. Got the replacement board in yesterday and it's working like a charm. Turns out all the little unmentioned "quirks" I was fighting on the Model 24 weren't design issues, but likely related to whatever caused the Codec error 30.

Reactions: -mjk-
Wow, good thing you got a replacement. The Model series is still new, relatively speaking.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.