Model 24 vs DP sound quality

Saxomohawh

Veteran
Gear owned
Dp 24 sd
This is a question to those who has experience with both the Model 24 and DP24/32 units? The Model 24 is supposed to have pre amps and A/D converters of higher quality. Can you hear a difference?

I was wondering about this myself. Hopefully someone will share their experience.

ok, I've had the DP-24 (original with midi and cd) for 5 years, and I bought a Model 24 back in January. I can definitely hear a difference, but it just might be me.

To me the Model 24 sounds more warm and full and like it has a more 3 dimension sound to it.
I don't know if it is because of the analog mixer preamps and compressor, or if its just in my head.
I find myself using the Model 24 much more then I ever used the DP-24 because it's so easy to just start recording with all the controls and knobs right there.
I've used DAW's since they came out way back in the mid 90's and I was just tired of always using a computer, so I got the DP 24 to get away from computers but I found there was still a lot of menu diving so I didn't use it much, The model 24 is exactly what I wanted , everything is right there to reach out and grab to adjust.
I started out many years ago on Tascam 4 track cassette recorders and it feels good to get back to hardware you can touch, but still connect to a DAW if you want to.
But to answer your question, I think it sounds better then the DP-24, I always thought the DP-24 sounded kind of sterile

Reactions: SocProf
Thanks. That is helpful. I plan to eventually get either a Model 16 or 24. I will do tracking on that device and then do the rest on my DP-24.

I considered switching to DAW, but reading the manual gave me a headache! I'm a hobbyist, not a professional, so I don't need the hassle of dealing with all the DAW minutia.

Interesting. If you hear a difference, then there probably is a difference. What is "better" can of course be subjective. The Model 24 probably have higher quality preamps and a/d converters, but on the other hand the signal goes through the analog mixer.

New threads

Members online