Monitor vs Stereo Out Monitoring

Rockrob

Gear owned
DP24-SD
Can anyone explain to me the difference in the two outs and which is better to hook monitors up to for multi track recording?

The "monitor out" is the better one to hook your monitors.

It allows you to keep the stereo out fader fully up (at 0) and have a look to the dB level of the summation of your tracks, regardless of the volume going to your monitors and therefore to your ears.

A good way to listen your music at different volumes, without affecting your mixdown level.

The main stereo outputs come from the stereo bus (via the stereo fader) or the mix/master file; they do not have their own metering bars. The monitor outputs come from whatever you select via the Monitor Select button, and whatever is being monitored will show on the right-hand meter bars, so you can use it as a 'probe' to check the sound & levels at various points within the machine, including the stereo output. It can do all of this without affecting anything else.

I am not sure about the newer machines. I used a 2488 Neo.
One of the things I like very much about the monitoring is that
when using a pair of nearfield active monitors, I can simply press
"Mute" and continue with headphones.

Iain

The reply above is the relevant question I have run into. If I want to only hear through the headphones during recording and then add th speakers for playback only, I can’t seem to find an answer in the manual or by following the circuit diagram.

@mark s zonder if the monitor and headphone mix are be the same, then you have a choice: turn your monitors on and off as you need them and, use the front panel headphone jack for your headphones, or use an external monitor controller. I use the JBL M Patch Active 1.

If you need a different mix, then you have to use the sends and an external headphone amplifier.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.