Monitors near and mid field

rjw

Gear owned
Tascam 2488
I use Tannoy Reveal 502 near field monitors which have been perfectly adequate for the work I've done on the DP-32 since 2014. I often use the desk in conjunction with Ableton Live, mostly for orchestral work and I'm not happy with the depth and breadth of sound I'm getting from the Tannoys. I'm thinking mid field monitors might give me what I want. Am I correct in this assumption? Further, am I assuming correctly that the mid field monitors might use the STEREO OUT (controlled by the stereo fader) whilst the Tannoys would remain at MONITOR OUT or do I have to change the monitors over when required. Do I need to be aware of any output issues. I've read the specifications page in the manual. Impedance seems to be the same but outputs are different. I'm a musician, not a sound/electronics engineer. Any help most welcome.

I use Tannoy Reveal 502 near field monitors...for orchestral work...I'm not happy with the depth and breadth of sound I'm getting from the Tannoys. I'm thinking mid field monitors...I'm a musician, not a sound/electronics engineer. Any help most welcome.
Your Tanoy are exceptionally accurate (49 Hz to 43 kHz +/- 3dB) near field speakers, designed specifically for home studio mixing and mastering. They should provide very good imaging when placed properly in relation to the mixing/mastering sweet spot listening position, absent significant interference from room acoustics (the purpose of near field monitors is to help minimize typical room interference).

For a number of technical reasons beyond the scope of this forum, room dimensions, room acoustic anomalies, etc. can smear the width and depth of the sound stage when mixing/mastering. So upgrading to larger or better speakers would not be my first choice without first considering the listening environment itself. If you're unfamiliar, a google search should turn up a number of reliable plain language resources about why home studio room acoustics are important.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.