MOUNTING AN MX2424

bhp2000

Gear owned
mx2424
Hi:

Thinking about an ARGOSY console but only see one possible place to mount my MX 2424 but it looks like it would be mounted on an angle.

Does anyone know if it's okay to mount these on angles or even vertically and if the hard drive would spin okay? Have always rack mounted horizontally.

Any quick help would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Many thanks, Bob

bhp2000 said:
Hi:<br abp="680"><br abp="681">Thinking about an ARGOSY console but only see one possible place to mount my MX 2424 but it looks like it would be mounted on an angle.<br abp="682"><br abp="683">Does anyone know if it's okay to mount these on angles or even vertically and if the hard drive would spin okay? Have always rack mounted horizontally.<br abp="684"><br abp="685">Any quick help would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!<br abp="686"><br abp="687">Many thanks, Bob

Hey there Bob, I don't think the MX2424 will have any issues with your mounting angle due to its near bullet-proof chassis and internal components' mounting methods but be sure to check the max mounting depth of the rack you are looking at. The MX2424 is an extraordinarily long recorder at about 17.5" before you start plugging cables into it. Which console desk/rack are you looking at?

Hi:

Thanks for the feedback LA6507.

Yeah I agree the MX 2424 does have a strong chassis etc. and have no doubts it could sustain an angle mount but my concern was more about the hard drive being at an angle or even vertical for that matter.

I had been thinking of the Argosy designed for a DA7 but there's only one slot
area that drops to 17 and change and unless I get some feedback from them stating otherwise or room to amend, I may bag it. STILL....Would be interested in finding out about angle or vertical mounts with internal hard drives.

Thanks, Bob

Bob, you are not going to have any problems with the hard drive mounted at an odd angle. It will not affect performance of the drive or the recorder in the least.

MANY THANKS!

For some reason I couldn't find an answer to that online. ;-)

Bob, this past weekend, I assembled my 70 series Argosy desk for my DM24 and I originally wanted to install my MX2424 into the horizontal section of the desk but there are a couple of issues with this arrangement:
1) the support legs actually run from front to back in the base unit of the desk and will prevent the recorder from sliding all the way into the rack cavity. I can only get about 15" of usuable depth in the horizontal section - 5U of gear - because of that bar.
2) This same support leg measures around 6" or so from the outside edge of the base unit so if Argosy has a blank insert unit that were around 7" wide and one that were about 14" wide, I would have been able to offset the rack and drop the recorder into the horizontal section. This offsets the DM24 from center of the desk but only by a few inches. I have not checked into this with Argosy, yet.

The vertical rack section gets even less and the mounting angle prevents the recorder from even sliding all the way back, by about 4 inches. Even if you were to find a way to mount the recorder into this section, it is really meant for smaller, lighter gear - the rails they supply are held in place by (2) screws per side (7U of gear space).

I wanted you to know what my installation issues have been so you can make an informed decision regarding the placement of your recorder since the DA7 and DM24 argosy desks are virtually identical. Assuming you have sufficient space in your studio, you could go with a 90 series desk and that would probably solve the problem for you. For me, I ordered a Raxxess ERK 20 since I only use my MX2424 for transfers into my DAW from field recordings.

thanks so much for the experienced info

yep, I was scratching my head when looking at the diagrams etc but now you've
definitely answered my question...

oh well, back to the drawing board.........may have a custom desk made locally ;-)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.