MSR 16 Capstan Always On?

Dean Gullberrys

From
Whittier, CA
Gear owned
DM24, MSR16
Hello guys,

Can anyone tell me if the capstan shaft on the MSR 16 is supposed to be always ON (rolling). After stopping tape playback, the pinch roller disengages , but the capstan shaft continues to operate.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Now I am trying to remember as its been a while since I used my MSR16, but yes I think the capstan shaft runs all the time, until you release the tape tension idler lever.

This would be to engage quickly when you hit the play button. It's not unusual for a tape machine to have the capstan running all the time, I even have cassette machines that do this.

Alan.

Alan,
Thanks for reassurance. It has been at least 15 years since I have used my MSR16 and could not remember if it was normal for the capstan to run continuously.

Hi, Dean!
I'm not sure exactly for MSR-16, but it is possible the capstan should:
1. be stopped when right tension roller is in the lowest position,
2. run slowly when the tape is loaded but stopped,
3. run at the full speed during "Play" or "Record".
Anyway, such a logic is in a similar machine MSR-24.

pessoal, o problema está no braço oscilante do lado esquerdo. é lá onde estão os circuitos que fazem parar o funcionamento do motor capstan toda vez que a fita para de trabalhar e o braço oscilante encosta na parte debaixo, o cpstan para de girar. quando não faz isso é porquê a placa que fica debaixo do braço oscilante parou esta função.
staff, the problem is the swingarm on the left. It is there where the circuits that make stopping the operation of the engine capstan every time the tape stops working and the swingarm slope at the bottom, the cpstan for spinning. when does this is why the board which is under the swingarm stop this function.

eu tenho dois msr 16 e um deles não parava de rodar o eixo do capstan. eu troquei obraço oscilante esquerdo e resolveu o problema.I have two msr 16:01 them kept turning the capstan shaft. I switched left swing obraço and solved the problem

The answer can be had by looking at the service manual. Typically if the motor is a belt driven one it will turn off when the right tension arm is down. In other units like the Tascam 52 the motor goes anytime the machine is on. It has no brushes in the motor and very much like the Otari MS5050 motor. I seem to remember that the MSR16 is a belt deck so it will turn off when arm dropped. I have not seen one for a while now.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.