Multiple inputs to one track

Gary8US

Gear owned
DP-24SD
Hi guys:

I might be missing something obvious, but I can't find any way to do this with my DP-24SD. I want to have three input sources mix onto a single track. Can it be done? If, so how? (I fear the answer is embarrassingly obvious, but damned if I can figure it out.)

Thanks in advance.

Hi Gary. Can only speak for the DP-32SD, but think they're fairly similar. Each of the 8 inputs A-H can be routed/assigned to one or more destinations (i.e. the individual tracks or the stereo bus), but afaik you can't assign multiple sources to a single track. Is that what you meant? Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to do this?

Hi Phil:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, what I'm trying to do is apply several mic inputs to a single track.

For example, you might use a half dozen mics to record a kit of drums, but not want to use a half dozen tracks to record them. Typically, you'd take those six mics and record a two-track stereo mix. That's what I'm attempting. Just wondering if there's a way to do so without having to use six tracks.

Gary

Ok Gary, that makes sense. Same problem with the 32-track model - still only 8 pre-amps for recording. I suppose it's a reasonable sacrifice for the money as there doesn't seem to be many options nowadays for non computer-based multi-tracking. Maybe a little sub-mixer would do the trick but you'd have limited control after recording and it kind of defeats the object of a single box solution. Good luck anyway and let us know if you find anything.

For example, you might use a half dozen mics to record a kit of drums, but not want to use a half dozen tracks to record them. Typically, you'd take those six mics and record a two-track stereo mix. That's what I'm attempting. Just wondering if there's a way to do so without having to use six tracks.
Hi Gary, I think you are applying analog 'limited track number' logic to a digital 'limitless track number' device. On an analog device you would do this because of limited tracks, say eight: drums to stereo and 6 more for bass, guitar, keys, vocals.

In this device there is no reason to mix 8 inputs to two tracks because the eight tracks aren't in the way of any future tracks. Ofcourse, you can still mix down those 8 tracks to stereo as a submix and work further with this, but mixing takes places after recording, simply because one can now.

Hi Arjan:

I hear what you're saying, and to some extent you're right. On the other hand, I come to the DP-24SD from a Roland VS-840, an older digital recorder. The Roland did have the capability to send any number of inputs to a single track.

In any case, it sounds like you and Phil are confirming that there's no way to do this with the Tascam. Not a big deal really.

Thanks,
Gary

You can record the 3 tracks from 3 inputs then bounce them to one track. Then store the three tracks as virtual tracks so that you can go back to them in the future and still free up faders.

Thanks Glenn. That's probably what I'll end up doing, but was hoping there was a way to avoid that workaround.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.