Mx 24242 with SSD harddrive

I've got an login account & the order is processed & pending, so it's just a matter of waiting!

Most of the Acard models are out of stock or silly prices. There was an Artmix version Aztecmonster II which also seems to be out of stock, I'm sure there were other companies making these bridges a few years back?

https://www.datapro.net/products/aztecmonster-ii-scsi-to-sata-adapter.html

Last edited:
I have a bad feeling about this seller, I had a look at the current price around the net and they are about $1000, this site says marked down from $145 to $43, I actually entered that I wanted 2 and it gave me another $45 off, I contacted them last week about freight to Australia, no answer. You can only pay by credit card not paypal? And if you click the site home address they sell clothing?

Check your card has not been ripped off, hope I am wrong as it's a great deal and I want at least 2 of them if they are that price.

Alan.

I checked the scam alert website which says the site is safe, my order is pending but I've sent them an email demanding shipping details.

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/bestkits.top

They don't want to answer emails so that's good enough reason to cancel!

Update: I did ask my bank to cancel but they said they had to wait to the 26th to allow the seller to dispatch.

However in the meantime the payment has been refunded into my account, I'm assuming the seller doesn't have the stock and has made the refund?

Last edited:
Acard still have the ARS-2160 & ARS-2160H on their website, but all the PCB bridge adaptors aren't listed.

The ARS-2160 ARS-2160H are the LVD160 2.5" SATA drive enclosures, 68pin & 80pin versions.

I've emailed them to check if the are still making these & regarding purchase.

I got hold of a couple of Acard AEC-7732 adaptors a while back but could not get them to work, another thing to have a look at again when I get a few hours.

I am just in the process of trying another solution, you can still buy new 80pin scsi drives cheap, however the adaptors apparently are a bit flaky, but I found that there is a caddy made that is 68pin rear panel with 80 pin drives in the removable part. When they arrive I'll see how they work.

A lot of my 68pin drives are dying now after years of service and I can only find old secondhand ones.

Alan.

Finally I got a Acard AEC-7732 bridge (these are getting very scarce and pricey now). Despite this model is primarly intended for ODD (not HD) it has worked fine for me so far (I have to do a more extensive testing, though). I have used it with a 80Gb Intel SSD 320 series I had lying around.

First thing is cheking that the jumpers in the bridge are correctly set for a SCSI ID supported by the system. The MX2424 does dot detect any ID >7 (and this one is reserved for the machine itself). I have used successfully both ID=0 (disconnecting the internal HD which usually is ID=0) and ID=1.

Once connected, I got the error message "No new SCSI volumes mounted". Obviously, the SSD needed to be initialised (Setup > 710 Initialize Disk), which I did selecting a FAT-32 format. Just make sure when you do this that the Disk # is the same as the SCSI ID set in the Acard bridge (Init Disk 0 for ID=0, Init Disk 1 for ID=1 and so on) You don't want to initialize the internal HD or any other disk, so I would suggest taking the safest way and disconnect any other HD (as usual, take it at your own risk).

Few seconds later and voilá... SSD was detected and the HD free space recognised.
Ready now to start recording. At the moment I have only recorded about 10 minutes 24-track 44.1Khz. No problems with this whatsoever. I will later do the 1-hour continous recording test.

Apart from the obvious differences in terms of noise, heat and current compared to the SCSI-ĹVD160 HDs, I noticed that it takes a few more seconds to mount them (however I am not sure if this has more to do with the size of the SSD, since I never used traditional HDs bigger that 18Gb). Anyway once mounted the SSD seems to be performing flawlessly so far, which is what really matters.

Hopefully Alan you will make it work for you too.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: carausius
Good to see you got it working, I used the same ODD Acard SCSI adaptor, I didn't notice any slowness with mounting volumes, but I've hardly ever used a SCSI drive on the MX2424.

I never got a reply from Acard regarding their SCSI adaptors / drives so I'm assuming they don't make them anymore? Nowadays Acard SCSI to SATA drives & adaptors are £850 plus on Ebay LOL!

Are you using a SATA caddy with your Arcard? I had some cable problems with the Acard adaptor before I bought a caddy to fit on the front of the MX2424.

At the moment I have only tested the Acard bridge connected to an external HD enclosure (AVID-type). I am considering buying an external enclosure + SATA caddy in order to leave the Tascam PSU just for the recorder (as previously discussed, the PSU in the unit is a weak point).

The idea here is being able to use the same caddy for both the Tascam and the PC, so transferring files to the DAW would be much quicker than via ethernet. In addition, bigger SATA HDs (SSD or classic HD) could be formatted in the computer, and ready to be used in the Tascam without the hassle of disconnecting other HDs to connect the new one.

What caddy are you using?

Cheers.

Good news, lucky I bought 2 x Acrad AEC-7732 Adaptors a while back. Now just need some time to get it working. I'll have to get hold of a SSD over the next few weeks.

Alan.

What caddy are you using?

Cheers.

I just use the caddy I bought for using 3.5" SATA drives, with an 2.5" / SSD drive adaptor, like this one. It was a lot cheaper back when I bought it on Ebay, less than £10.00 LOL!

https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/icy-...k-icy-ib-138sksiib-p111111.html?&trstct=pos_1

There's a picture of another front panel drive caddy back earlier in this thread with the combined SDD 2.5" / 3,5" ports.

The combined 2.5" / SSD & 3.5" caddy is the one to get because you can access both size drives.

There are 5.25" frame front panel caddies available that take just 2.5" SATA or SDD drives, if you're not going to use the 3.5" SATA drives?

Last edited:

New threads

Members online