Mx2424 power supply dim display

You can run 2 drives with the power supply. However, I always recommend that you take all the drives out and run a separate drive enclosure. There are tons of second hand scsi enclosures and cables on eBay that will do this.

Removing the drives reduces load on the power supply and removes the heat out of the MX.

If as the title of the thread is happening and you are getting a dim display, check the plug on connections to the supply, if they look yellowed or blackened you may need to remove the connectors and solder the wires directly on.

Alan.

I'm not understanding why changing the capacitors would make the PSU more capable, could you explain please ?

The early mx' could barely run one internal drive. Display always dimmed even after reseating pwr cables.

Best remedy is like already stated, move to external drives problem solved. I had one of the first mx', I had an SE no dimming plus had extra fan someone installed and I have a later ver 1 and no dimming but I still disconnected 9gb internal and I don't use removeable in front. I use an old sun micro systems SCSI box it's big old and ugly but cheap and work. Big busy studios used to use stacked scsi' sin towers like glyphs etc. I left top of my sun box off and would change out drives for each band. I ran a busy but small cheap local studio I couldn't spring for a nice tower but they're pretty cheap now. I can't stress external enough. I was using SCSI to IDE bridge at end of my studio life around 2012+
and it worked. Somebody around here was playing with SCSI to sdd very cool. I thought I was super cool using ide but SSD, even cooler :)

The early power supplies were a problem, Tascam replaced most of them with warranty units but some slipped through. The SE would have the latest power supply as they were released later.

As I said before external drive towers are the best, it also puts less strain on the power supply and extends it's life.

Alan.

Reactions: Sloth Studio
I was never contacted by tascam to replace my power supply as a matter of fact when more and more ppl started complaining about them tascam took down the forum.

I bought a brand new power supply from tascam $275.00 roughly. I didn't need it though, I reseated my cables crimping them plus went external never had an issue after. That mx is still working today in a local small studio. Very low SN one of first batch shipped in 2000.

My second mx was an SE no pwr issues.

My third is older mx low SN. Have no idea if pwr supply was changed out, came with internal 9g drive. No display dimming. My first mx the display dimmed out of the gate it was normal ops for the mx's to have display dim. I disconnected internal and run external hd just to be safe :)

I cannot agree more with using external hd. :)

Reactions: Sloth Studio
Struggled for years with a dim LCD and even purchased a pre-owned MX2424 that ended up having the same issue. Contrast of the LCD was marginal at start up but got progressively more dim and flickered during playback. After a couple hours of troubleshooting with no success I connected/disconnected the DC connector that connects the low voltage power supply 5V and 12V to the main control board several times. Bingo-bango Bob's your Uncle, LCD display is full contrast and bright just like new. I guess the contact pins or Molex sockets had oxidized over 20+ years. Now I'm back in business with a backup.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.