My attempt to revive my SX-1LE (includes progress photos)

JAMPROSOUND

Gear owned
SX-1 LE v. 1.52
Roughly one month ago, I watched as a large spider crawled into the channel five fader slot. Not sure what could happen, I grabbed the canned air and shot a quick couple of bursts across the slot. The console shut down and when rebooted, would not complete the boot process.

Things I have noticed that are now irregular are as follows. I'll list them in order of sequence or as I remember them.

1. The channel five encoder LED ring flashes full, one time.
  2. The VGA output never feeds a signal other than what appears to be video sync etc. as you can see that the monitor is lit and waiting for video.
  3. The fader calibration begins but hangs.
  4. The hardware initialization on the LCD hangs.

I've started disassembling and exploring inside and am taking photos during the process.

Although I am very technically able, I am not a Service Technician. The only thing out of the norm that I can see is that several (10 showing issues visually) of the 6.3v 330µF capacitors on the channel gains PCB appear to be expanding or blowing out of the bottoms of the capacitor canisters. My next step will be to test the row of caps I've referred to hear with a meter. Then I guess it's time to start a parts list.

If you have any experience with this and have any info or guidance to share, please let me know here. My goal is to either identify and correct the problems with this console and keep her, or document them as best as I can in preparation to ship to another forum user who has expressed interest.

Wish me luck!

- Justin

Last edited:
Hi Justin
on your point number 1 the channel five encoder LED ring flashes full, one time
this happens on both of my sx1's on startup so I think it is normal to do this
Graham

I saw that in the troubleshooting chart in the service manual after I posted this.

Maybe I missed that before because I was fixated on the fader calibration finishing as my way of knowing it was booting correctly. I know that doesn't make sense but I really don't recall it happening before.

I think I will go ahead and meter test every cap in the console and then make a parts list. I'm just not sure what tolerance these are all supposed to be. I've not read the entire service manual yet. I hope some of that info is in there somewhere.

New threads

Members online