Need feedback on BOSS BR-xxx units - BPM slow/off-speed

Do you have gear that doesn't "keep time", set at same BPM settings as other gear?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What does "BPM" mean???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If sync is important then all your gear should use a common word clock.
I agree - a common-standard time calibration would help - IIRC, time is sort of important in music!!!
The obstacle here: these little portables were purchased with the intent of having a VERY compact/streamlined/simple manner of mobile/remote recording, with little more than the unit and an instrument/mic. And, of course, these very small units do not have MIDI capability.
And...I'm ignorant/inexperienced enough to have to google "common word clock"!!!:oops:

High end devices have a BNC connector for sync from a lead word clock.

Reactions: shredd
High end devices have a BNC connector for sync from a lead word clock.
Like I said - that level of technology is pretty much over my head. I still haveta look at my 1/4" cable plugs and count the sections to figure out if it's TS or TRS...:LOL:

Seriously though - NONE of my gear - even my "real studio" gear - is at that level. The best I can do there is MIDI syncing/clock control.
But my little portables - they have NO such capabilities. Not even MIDI...:(

In one of the Reaper forums, some are saying to take the end point of the audio that is out of sync and stretch it (whichever way it needs to go) to make it line up with the end of the reference audio. Supposedly that compresses or expands it to where it needs to be. With things like vocal takes though, since there are spaces between lines one can often just nudge a clip and get it sounding right.

Not long ago I made a YT video of some guys and I jamming at a club in Taiwan. I shot the video on an Insta360 One X2, and I recorded audio with my Zoom H2N handy recorder. When the video and audio tracks were dropped into the video editor they didn't synchronize perfectly. At some points along the timeline, I split the audio tracks and dragged them to match the audio from the camera. The "room tone" from the camera provided some ambient fill to mask those small adjustments and smooth out the resulting audio. I think the sound is quite good, considering it's just a camera and a handy recorder sitting in front of the stage. Realizing that these things can happen going into whatever project you're doing, you can make allowances for it by using as many devices as you can to record audio. Even having an audio track from a mobile phone can give you some room tone to mask edits in the main audio. That is a very old professional feature film technique. Also, having a studio allows me to create a digital space to put the scene into and that can make a huge difference when making those time-align edits.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.