New BIOS chips, DM24 still locks up

MaxK

From
Frankfurt, Germany
Gear owned
DM-24
My DM24 is still giving me Headaches... I've replaced the EPROM chips with new ones from German Tascam support and still my problem isn't solved:

A few seconds after booting, the message "Wait_For_Write_Ready_Flag_22_Timed_Out" appears twice, followed by "Wait_For_Write_Ready_Flag_57_Timed_Out", then it locks up and all buttons/faders stop working.

Since 2 years it has a replacement LCD and also a new Power Supply, I got it with Firmware 2.10 and it has never let me down until I tried to update to Firmware v3 in order to install a FW-Card I got from ebay.

Any Ideas?

Status Update:
Out of curiosity I pulled the new chips, put the old ones in, downgraded the Firmware via MIDI to 2.10 and the Console works as if there never was any problem!

Is it possible that both the .mot files in the "secret" download area AND the upgrade-files on the official tascam site are broken?
Or, other way around: Did Tascam update the Hardware at any point so that older Consoles cannot be upgraded to v3?

This is really puzzling...

There are two versions of the FW card-the original and the MkII.The Dm 24 will only work with the original FW card and will not work with the MKII version.

The card I have is the correct one but not the problem.
The problem is, that my DM24 refuses to work with Firmware v3.0, no matter if the card is installed or not.

Then you are looking at three different scenarios
1.The FW card is bad
2.The data on the PROMS is either corrupted or blank-not burned and checksum verified.
3.The PROMS are mislabeled.

I think I found out why my DM24 refuses to work with the v3 Firmware:
From what I read in the service manual the error messages that appear with v3 are related to a DSP-Chip (U106) on the mainboard which is responsible for communicating with the cards you plug into the board.

So I guess this chip is defective aka my mainboard is toast. Trying to plug in a (known working) Analog-I/O card proves my theory. Since the console otherwise works fine with v2.10 I think I'll put it aside for other tasks or spare parts and start looking around on ebay for a DM24 with a fully functional mainboard.

I've invested too much money (Fader board, LCD, Cooling fans, Power supply) in this Diva already... I simply cannot part!

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.