New LCD!

I heard some good news on this front:

I have it from a Tascam sales rep that while the LCD screen is currently shown as "backordered" on the Tascam site, it is NOT discontinued, as the DM series is slated for continued production for the foreseeable future.

"the DM series is slated for continued production for the foreseeable future."

7.5 years and counting. Aren't a whole lot of examples of digital audio gear that can claim the same. :)

CaptDan

Great news. They'd be foolish to discontinue unless of course they have and DM3200 & DM4800 MKII on the horizon which I would welcome with open arms!!!

captdan said:
"the DM series is slated for continued production for the foreseeable future."

7.5 years and counting. Aren't a whole lot of examples of digital audio gear that can claim the same. :)
I'm quite proud of Tascam! :D
They could have easily dropped this product as many other companies would have. Considering its age it really isn't suffering that much technologically.

I'm biassed of course, but - in my humble opinion - considering what the DM consoles are capable of, there's simply no competition anywhere near the price range.

Yes - Roland has their product; Presonus, too. I know folks who use both and seem happy. I know I wouldn't be, though; my workflow requires certain specifics, and the DM3200 delivers admirably. I wouldn't even care if there were a DM-MKII on the horizon. Unless it's capable of composing, arranging and editing music, it would be of little interest to me. :)

Usual disclaimers: YMMV, IMO, WDIK? :)

CaptDan

Well, there's one thing I'd appreciate in a DM mk II: An LCD that lasts and lasts without lines slowly filling it up.. ;)

Yes, Tascam could've done better with the LCD. But instead of a new DM, I'd like to see a 'retrofit color LCD' - snaps right over the existing housing, is an inch or so wider, blends cosmetically into the monitor bay, and is so neatly designed, it tilts, swivels and lasts for at least a decade. :D

It can be done. I'll betcha. :cool:

CaptDan

How did you get one? Each time I try to order one through the Tascam website it's back ordered with no way to even place the order!

Jim is there a part number? I can't find it listed. Is it an item that anyone can order from them?

Thanks

Sure, anybody can get one, I'm sure. They may not show it as available on their website, but the Full Compass item number is E0134290 (just pulled it off my old invoice). It was $210 shipped, but I didn't have to wait. If they're backordered, they'll get you one eventually... I just asked them if Tascam was still producing them and the answer was "yes."

Thanks all! And by the way, I contacted Davan Display Solutions today and they no longer repair the LCD. According to the email reply they sent they weren't getting enough of them to repair to make it worth their while anymore. Thanks for the Full Compass tip though GravityJim!

Yeah, I posted the apologetic e-mail I got back from Davan a couple pages back in this thread. Bummer. If ANYBODY knows of another service that might repair these screens, lemme know... I have one I'd love to have fixed.

Thanks Jim. That part number doesn't show up in their advanced search. I guess if you call them they have it?

Yeah, I don't think they list a lot of replacement parts on the website. Call them up and tell them you want one. I'm guessing they'll show it as "backordered," but at least you can actually place the order (unlike the Tascam page).

Call Compass Express, or if you want a rep ask for Barb Stenson (she's my long-time gear buddy).

I didn't bother getting a replacement screen even though my screen is just fine and got me a 2seemy VGA card! Looking forward to setting it up.

+1 on Full Compass. I was able to order one today at $210. They are back ordered but they seemed confident that they could get one in quick. You do have to call though as its not listed on their site. Eventually I'll add the 2seemy kit but I want the unit to function properly independent of an additional monitor.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.