New Model 12 at Namm 2020

If your DAW (Reaper?) uses the Mackie control protocol (most seem to) then it will control it. I don’t need the phone input myself.

Reactions: {{{5T4RF0RT5}}}
According to tascam support/engineering (see below). I wonder why tascam went digital EQ on the model 12 instead of analog EQ like on the model 16/24. Perhaps to do with the DAW control/integration (like the videos above show) on the model 12.

"...Regarding EQ,

- Model 16/24 is analog circuit EQ of analog mixer, so it is "Analog EQ".

- Model 12 is DSP EQ of digital mixer, so it is "Digital EQ"."

Last edited:
Digital EQ allows one to recall presets. It would be much cheaper than motorizing both the faders AND the EQ settings. The 16/24 have no DAW surface functionality so it makes sense for those models to have analog EQ.

So, the Model 12 has encoders?

Is there any chance that DAW connection capability as on the new Model 12 could be introduced as a firmware update for the Model 24 or is this just not feasibly possible?

I was wondering that myself, but the Model 12 is a digital mixer and the 24/16 are analog, so I kind of doubt it. I guess we’ll have to wait and see or ask Tascam and see if we can get an answer from them.

I had completely missed that the Model 12 was digital until a couple of days ago; I wonder if it’s completely digital or if it’s analog through the signal path up to the converter out? The EQ knobs don’t do anything within any DAWs that I saw; just the levels, balance, and (of course) transport controls. It would be nice if those (transport controls) would work as remotes on the 24 and 16.

Sweetwater's site says they are in and shipping. Mind you, they are working at less than capacity (due to the shutdown), but I do believe they're still at it. I know my rep is working from home and there's supposed to be a skeleton crew at the warehouse.

@Matthew Fogel tascam support has noted digital mixer/eq (their guess) has to do with the 12's "...control surface feature. [/] ...[the] need to send certain mixer control functions digitally to a DAW program."

@Blue Monster 65 am awaiting response from them in regards to any analog vs. digital components in signal path of the 12. But I think you're right in the 'analog through... up to converter out". Am going to order a 12 from sweetwater over weekend and have noticed the dp-24/32sd's are ~$100 down :-D -- may not return my 24-SD and instead get a midi-to-smpte sync box, so they can all play nice

If you get the 12, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on how the two sound, side-by-side.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.