New PC Build

@Peter Batah I don't know if you know, but Microsoft terminated support for Win 7 in January 2020. I would go straight to Win 10, which is the current Windows version and will be supported until July 2025 - so we've got 4.5 years on that. I do know there were problems mentioned by a number of forum users regarding getting a Win 10 computer to work with the DM mixer as they converted from Win 7 to 10, that's why I posted about Charlie's efforts making the DM interface work with this version of the OS.

The other thing I would want to do, is remove anything Win 7 left behind before the installation stopped and you lost control of the mouse and keybd, though, without an OS actually installed and running, I suspect that's not possible. Also, if that's as far as it got, there should be little or nothing that actually got installed other than the compressed files of the Win 7 kit. They may have been unpacked, but it doesn't sound like it could have gone very far and the Register might not even yet be created. Regardless, I think the Win 10 installation will clean things up.

Reactions: -mjk-
@skier Good morning J. Yes, I am aware that WIN7 is no longer supported. Too bad because I and many others still think that it was one of Microsoft's most stable builds. That said!

There was a method to my madness. But, I won't get into that right now.

Apparently, after much googling / reading, I am not the only one losing his mind over this issue. It appears that WIN7 lacks the USB 3.x drivers that are required in these newer builds. Even though clearly there are USB 2.x ports on the motherboard. No fault of the hardware though.

Some folks are re-creating the WIN7 media and adding the needed drivers. Not interested. I ended up going straight to WIN10 Pro. Everything is working like a charm. I have not hooked up the new PC to the DM yet as I am waiting for the new Dell monitor. Which I am sure that I have mentioned a million times. Oh, and the overall speed is pretty impressive. Load time, app install, etc..

I will checkout Charlie's post re: WIN10 for sure. Let's hope that new PC plays nice with the DM. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for everything J. Have your self an awesome Saturday / weekend. Peter

Reactions: -mjk- and skier
Hey PB, just checked the tracking and my monitor arrives Monday, so yours, ordered before mine, is likely to get there today or no later than Monday also. Thought you'd like to hear.

@skier Guess you know people in high places. :p It looks like mine is scheduled to be delivered on Monday as well. Once it gets here, I will begin by setting it atop the desk. But, if I find it too high I am going to have to come up with another solution. I have issues with my neck and if I look up at an angle for too long I end up having a headache for a day or two, or more. That is exactly what happened to me yesterday. Thanks to the PC build. I sat down looking way up while breaking my head over the OS install. Two Tylenol extra strength and off to bed early.

I am almost sure that the Dell monitor adheres to the VESA mounting guided. So, that is always an option.

5gXYyD6.jpg

Reactions: skier
Yes, the monitor does have a VESA mount. It's continuously adjustable from about the bottom being 3 inches from the supporting surface to about 10 inches above it. I, too, find my neck getting sore if I'm continuously looking up for long stretches of time. Of course, my ears are ususally not reliable after that kind of time anyway, so a break helps both of those maladies, and perhaps others.

Here is the finished product. I am impressed with how clean / streamlined the build is. No messy cables. Not many expansion cards. Well, not in my case anyway. I'm liking the tempered glass. What a shame that all of this is going to be tucked away behind the desk. I'll come up with something! I was also thinking of something along the line of the VESA mount adapter that is pictured below the case. Not necessarily that specific model. But, you get the idea. With the model seen in the pic I could literally have the monitor flush with the top of the desk between the Focals

50915949172_d1e413c46d_z.jpg

50915133958_4ae519d290_z.jpg

7c1ovk4.jpg

That is a very good looking system! And you're right: very clean - I really like it!

@skier The eagle has landed. Let the fun begin
50924114527_e7d5f299f4_z.jpg

Reactions: skier and -mjk-
Ooh Ahh, Ooh Ahh! Yes, mine arrived today also. I hope you love it as much as I do. When I full screen a photograph on this monitor it is truly impressive. Here's a photo of the current screen in my office.

upload_2021-2-8_21-33-36.png

@skier That looks really impressive. I ordered a DVI-I to HDMI cable earlier today. I'm hoping that I will be able to use my older PC when I need to access it. I assume that it would just be a matter of selecting the right input. I realize that I can't expect amazing resolution from that older graphic card. But, if I can get what I was getting on the older 19 inch flat screen LG monitor I'll be more than happy. Of course I will be hooking it up tomorrow and will definitely report back. Thanks again for recommending this beautiful piece of technology. Much appreciated

You're very welcome for the recommendation! Any image coming from an older computer with an older GPU card will be limited because the older GPU won't likely be able to output resolution on par with today's GPUs and monitors. That said, I'll bet it'll still look better than on your older monitor. However, whether you use a current separate GPU or even if you have one built onto your mother board and use that one, it'll be current and capable of today's resolutions, so it should look great. The main limit of a motherboard GPU is not usually its resolution or image quality as much as it is the speed with which it can generate fast, changing, hi-res images, such as what is output from high-res video games and hi-res movies. So, still images should still have their full glory and I think it also should be able to provide very good video that you already have stored in your files that played well on your old computer and monitor.

Let me know what you think when you get it setup.

I bought a 32" curved Samsung monitor that is 1080p and installed it on a mount right over my console. After I adjusted it, the resolution is just fine for editing. So, you should really be in for a treat with that high res monitor @Peter Batah!

@-mjk- Thank you. Looking forward to powering it up. When you have a minute, maybe you can post a pic of how you have your monitor mounted.

I ordered a wireless mouse from Amazon today. I have never really been a big fan of "wireless" but I really am tired of getting tangled up in wires. And, the way I think that I am going to be setup I would probably need extensions for a wired mouse / keyboard. I had considered the
Kensington Expert Optical Trackball Wireless Mouse but I think that I am going to start with this for the time being. Probably not the greatest.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0043T7FXE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will give it a try. Next is a wireless keyboard. I am hoping to find one whose batteries that can be recharged via US. And, one that isn't too large. So, it's width could fit nicely on the desk's armrest if necessary.

@-mjk- Thank you. Looking forward to powering it up. When you have a minute, maybe you can post a pic of how you have your monitor mounted.

Peter, here are some Q&D mobile phone photos. I have an msi AIO on one and the Samsung on the other. Both mounts are the through-cable type base (mounted over already-existing holes, which explains the overhang). The Samsung has a quick-release mount so I can easily change the up/down position. The msi has a dual-monitor mount (secondary monitor mount is not used and pushed sideways) because the place where I bought it didn't have another QR mount.

Basically, it's a tube with several types of mounts. They also have arms that can attach to the tubes, and even dual arm mounts, QR or bolt-on. The tube/base and mounts are all sold separately so you can mix and match to your requirements.

The photo of the tag is for the QR mount (taken in the store).

These things are rock solid. I can move the surface of the wood desk - they are that rigid.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6WUYLVjErHnUFCkd9

@-mjk- Thank you so much for the photos. I hope that I didn't put you out.

Not at all @Peter Batah. Just had to crop out the junk in the background. Recently I tore the studio apart and reconfigured everything, including those monitors. Tools and parts are everywhere.

Things are finally coming together. I think that the monitor height is going to be a problem though. I may have to consider a solution where I can swing it down to a spot in front of the meter bridge when working on any task that requires that I stare at the screen for a prolonged period of time. That could be as little as 15 minutes. I was also wondering if the monitor's placement will have any impact on the way that sound emanates from the near field monitors. Reflection wise that is.

50926851492_07d77f59a6_z.jpg

Last edited:
@Peter Batah if the monitor is behind the audio monitors, it should not be a problem. One thing you can do is listen to a stereo source in mono and move around and see what effect the video monitor has on the field.

As I mentioned before, I work on a stool that is quite high, and that reduces tension on my neck because I'm not looking up at the video monitor.

@-mjk- Aha! I will try that. There must be a way for me to go out VGA from the 2Seemy card to HDMI on the monitor. I'll have to look into either a cable or adapter. Thank you for the suggestion

New threads

Members online