New Tascam multi-track recorder 2017?

jeff woodruff

Gear owned
dp 24, dp 32, dp 8
With the current line of DP-24 and Dp-32 models being discontinued right now should we expect a new model this year?

Or is it over?

I was wondering that myself, I have just bought the DP-32SD. I weighted almost a year to see if Tascam would release some news of a new multi-track recorder hopefully with midi on it.

I just sent my DP-32SD back since it kept locking up on me.

I have never wanted to switch over to a computer for recording because I love the ease of external units like the tascam but I am thinking about making the plunge at this point. I just downloaded Presonus Studio one free version. I am going to spend the next month playing around with it. If Tascam doesn't put a new model out during namm I might just order a controller and a MAC laptop and try the computer side of recording. I really just don't want to use a computer because I have never seen a computer last as a stable long term working device. However, I have a Korg D-8 digital recorder that I have had for 18 years that still works. I have also owned the Tascam dp-08 for several years and the Dp-24 for several years....However, computers usually only last me maybe 3 years before they seem at the end of their rope. Then all the hassle of changing operating systems constantly....I really just prefer a stand alone device like the Tascam......Anyway my fingers are crossed that they will release something new.

Yes, switching from dedicated recorder to computer will take some getting used to. But if you do, carefully consider the OS and DAW you want to work with. IMO, Windows is a much better long-term solution for consistency than Mac. I'm operating my Windows/Cubase studio since 2010 with no change in hardware whatsoever, and everything that worked under Windows 7 when I started still works under Windows 10. And will continue to do so for a long time.

OTOH, bottom line: whichever computer solution you chose, if you dedicate it to recording and treat it as such it is no different than any standalone recorder (which is a dedicated computer anyway). Noone forces you to update anything, just keep it disconnected from any network and your good to go for decades.

I've been using Tascam multitrack units since my first 4-track in the 80's...there's always a new model on the way. Always.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.