New to forum, just got a DP32-SD, got a problem/question

McQuade

Gear owned
dp32-sd
Hello,

This seems like a very informative place. Have a 788 and hand held DR40 so I am not completely new to Tascam. I am trying to import drum loops I created on Reaper into the DP32SD , a stereo wav onto a stereo track. I have watched the Phil Tipping videos on the subject, read the manual. One of problems was I saved all my loops as mastered stems on reaper, those didn't work. Changed it to a recorded stereo track and I was able to get the file to show up in my Auto Depot folder on the tascam. I then went to import the files to a new song, certain to have it set on the same 48k/24 bit setting and careful to use single byte alphanumerics. I have tried it twice, once without preselecting the tracsks (9/10) and once with them selected and the record button pushed. I import the file, select tracks 9/10, it says it is completed. the import process takes place, the record light comes on for a couple of seconds. If I play the song there is nothing, no signal on the screen, no sound, I have the stereo faders up, headphones and monitor level up. Looking to lay in the drum tracks and record guitar bass and vocals over them. Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong? Any tips? Any ideas? Just got the unit from Musician's friend today. Normal recording works perfectly and rather easy after years of using the 788. Any help appreciated! Thanks

McQuade

The one thing you did not mention is whether or not you have the track fader up. Track faders are output controls not input controls.

"No signal on the screen" means no meters showing audio on 9/10? If that's so, then the imported tracks have no audio (or, they didn't import). When importing, you don't press Record on the machine. You use the Function keys and press Import, but you must check (select) the destination tracks first. The blinking Record button indicates a successful import.

As for mastered stems or not, any 24b/48kHz audio WAV (uppercase .WAV extension) file will work, no matter what it is. You can export an entire mix from Reaper and import the stereo mixdown file after rendering, into the DP machine from the Audio Depot. The biggest mistake some make when rendering in Reaper is to forget to unmute the track. So the rendered track is silent.

thanks for your tips and knowledge. I did have the track faders up. Not pressing record on the machine . I've used the import button and the blinking record light happens, showing a successful import. The file says it is there, but no signal is coming through. The files I've rendered from Reaper all play on Windows Groove and Itunes, even off the sd card when installed in my computer, so they weren't rendered silently.. I will mess about with it all again and see if I can get something through. If there any further thoughts on this matter, please post them here! Thanks so much.

OK, thanks @McQuade. Those are all the things that I've done in the past (including the Mute button on Reaper!).

Just 2 more things: with the track faders up, do you get any movement on the Stereo meter? If so, please press the Monitor Select button and make sure you're monitoring the Stereo bus.

Oh, you need the Stereo fader up as well.

Hey , thanks for the help, yall. So I got it to work and then got busy for a week. Now I am just trying to transfer wav files to the audio depot, which worked fine before. It works fine now, I put the file on the sd card using the usb cable, when I check the sd card in my computer the audio file is there but it won't show up in audio dept. using single byte alphanumerics, 24 bit, 48hz setting, all seems like there should be no issue but they wont show up as importable files. Any help out there again?

There's a few posts in the Equipment Tips and Production Tips Stickies that focus on caveats for working with Audio Depot.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a dumbass but where do I find the tip stickies? It worked fine last week, at least getting it to the DP32.

So I can get older files with long ass names to show up in the audio depot on the tascam but all the files I renamed aren't showing up, they are there on the memory card but they don't show up on the tascam screen. Anbody got any clues?

@McQuade first of all, they're called stickies because they stick at the very top of the forum. Stickies contain the video tutorials, production, and equipment tips etc., you can't miss them.

The filename must have an uppercase WAV extension. ".wav" will not work.

Apparently, the above statement may not be correct.

The filename length is limited to 15 characters, not including the extension.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online