Noisy external mic on DR-40

GR4242

I got a Neweer NW-81 shotgun mic to use when recording video. It's cheap but has pretty good reviews.

I already own a DR-40 and my plan was to use that to record the audio from the mic. This is basically the first time I've tried to use the external inputs on it, and when I set the DR-40 to mic level input, I get an audible hiss even without anything connected. With the input gain around 10, it's noticeable, but not too bad. At the higher levels I need to use with this mic, it's really bad. With the internal mics, it has a very low noise floor, even if I turn the gain up a lot, so I was really surprised by this issue.

It doesn't really seem to be a problem with the mic. This mic works great if I use a different pre-amp to boost the signal to line level for the DR-40.

Is this just an inherent issue with the DR-40's external input pre-amps? If so, is the DR-60 or DR-70 any better? Or is there some other issue here?

EDIT: I've done some more testing and realized that the hiss isn't really as bad as it seemed at first and I can probably deal with it, but I'm definitely getting noise from the electronics on the DR-40 when the mic is connected directly to it. There's a one per second buzz when the DR-40 and occasionally other electronic noises. It only happens when the mic is connected, but doesn't seem to be picked up by the mic or cable since I can move the DR-40 away and it still happens. It doesn't happen when using the other pre-amp. I'm using regular 3 pin shielded XLR cables for all of this.

Last edited:
you're gonna have to try another mic cable, and another external mic to narrow the cause down a bit. Is the mic a condensor? try an external phantom power supply?(by coincidence, I bought a Neweer brand external phantom power supply two weeks ago lol) I've never had this issue with my DR40.

I have a DR-40 and I was surprised to hear a background hiss which obviously comes from the pre-amps in the device. I would have thought that with modern low-noise electronics, there should be no audible noise contribution from the device itself.

However, as noted, if mic is close enough so that the signal is well above the noise level, the noise does not intrude.

New threads

Members online