Odd transport behaviour

Jason King

Gear owned
Tascam dm4800
Hi. Another question. Today saw me recording for the first time in a while and was hit with a problem that has been plaguing me.

When I press stop after recording you have to hit a combination of keys before it stops.

I unchecked punch in and I'm sure I read it was some setting in learn/control ?

Anyone else experienced this?

Never experienced anything like that. But pressing Stop is only a command to DAW software, which could be interpreted in various ways. You don't mention software, so can't comment further..

Terribly sorry. It's for Logic X and it's as if it's going into some kind of loop. I think it's something that needs to be unchecked.

No worries.. Can't help you further though, don't know Logic at all. But I'm sure others will chime in.

I encountered this same problem early on, but that was so long ago that I can't recall the fix! Give me some time to dig around in my Logic set-up.

This is something that happens in Cubase when the DAW clock is the slave not the DM. Not sure this is the case in your situation but worth sniffing around to make sure.

Jason, I'm sorry, I just can't recall what I did that fixed the problem. If it snaps into my head now that I'm no longer trying to remember, I'll let you know.

Thanks Jim, I'll keep looking too. It's a strange one.

I did dig into the control surfaces sections of Logic, and it seems to me there was some radio button in there that needed to be turned off... but my memory failed even looking at it. You might try asking at a Logic forum... those guys will have fresher info than I do, and I'm pretty sure it's a Logic set-up thing.

Thanks Jim. Good idea. I'm convinced it's s logic setting too. If I find anything out I'll report back.

Hey. Think we got this sorted. Under Preferences, go to Controller Assignments and individually choose the transport functions: Stop, Play, Record etc .Every time you see that the default for each of these is to have the "Key Repeat" box checked; uncheck it (FOR EACH ONE!) Hope this helps people :)

Only now we have another problem it's our old friend and nemesis - routing. MIDI is fine. Been recording with that no problem. Sound of projects all playing perfectly. Yes it's sound going in from guitar/mic and registering on logic and Taz meters - and nothing being heard. Alas to check I reset everything before seeing if I had to replace new FireWire card (I did) so I'm going to spend a a few days longer before posting a new thread. See if I can figure it out.

I may have slightly less hair next time I post.

You mean you can't hear what you're recording while tracking, or on playback?

Hi Jim. Just when tracking/trying to record. Old songs/projects play fine. MIDI records no problem. Just any line in is problematic. You can see it registering. Just no sound. I'm still tinkering.

When you are tracking, you want to send (via the assignment burros to the left) the incoming signal out to whatever buss you have chosen in our DAW, but also out the STEREO buss. Then you'll hear what you're doing without any latency.

Indebted to you again, Jim. All is good to go. Happy again. Who knew replacing a FireWire card would cause so much grief. This time however I have wrote myself an idiots guide.

Also would like to add that tascam have stopped making the card, I wonder how much trouble this will cause people in the future?

Thanks again.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.