Veteran
From
Long Island, NY
Website
www.b2rmusic.com
Gear owned
Dm 4800 imac Pro Tools 10
Hey guys,

This might be an easy one but for some reason I'm only seeing the first 16 tracks of my PT sessions when I use the remote layer. I've got the HUI emulation selected for 24 tracks and I can see them in PT, just not on the board. The first 16 channels work perfectly though. Any ideas?

Have you tried scrolling through the screen? If you've set up your HUI banks correctly, every track available in PT should appear on your DM Remote Layer screen.

To scroll, hold down CTRL and - using the left/right arrows on the 'Bank' section of the MMC portion of the board - scroll sideways back and forth through the choices.
It's easiest to do this when PT's Mix Screen is present (hit the DM's F8 for 'Mix,' F7 for 'Edit.' That way you can align your Mix Screen monitor with the DM's 'scribbles.'

CaptDan

captdan said:
Have you tried scrolling through the screen? If you've set up your HUI banks correctly, every track available in PT should appear on your DM Remote Layer screen.

To scroll, hold down CTRL and - using the left/right arrows on the 'Bank' section of the MMC portion of the board - scroll sideways back and forth through the choices.
It's easiest to do this when PT's Mix Screen is present (hit the DM's F8 for 'Mix,' F7 for 'Edit.' That way you can align your Mix Screen monitor with the DM's 'scribbles.'

CaptDan

Sorry CaptDan, I think my original post wasn't clear. I can see all the tracks in Pro tools, but for some reason only the first 16 channels on my mixer follow PT, the other 8 faders don't sync to protools. By way of example, I have a session with 20 tracks in it. I can see and manage all 20 tracks in PT but only the first 16 show up on my mixer in remote layer. Even the names on the lcd screen are synced. But tracks 17 to 20 don't appear on the mixer at all.

Perhaps I wasn't clear either. By 'scrolling' I meant performing that operation on the DM - not in Ptools. In otherwords, try using the DM's 'Bank Arrow' buttons while holding down the DM's Control key. If the DM screen doesn't adjust to show the remaining tracks, then something wasn't set right in the DM, Ptools - or both - HUI/Mackie parameters.

CaptDan

captdan said:
Perhaps I wasn't clear either. By 'scrolling' I meant performing that operation on the DM - not in Ptools. In otherwords, try using the DM's 'Bank Arrow' buttons while holding down the DM's Control key. If the DM screen doesn't adjust to show the remaining tracks, then something wasn't set right in the DM, Ptools - or both - HUI/Mackie parameters.

CaptDan

Oh, right. Good call that actually worked. But its frustrating that I have another bank of 8 faders sitting right there unused so why would I have to scroll to see tracks 17 and beyond. I guess its either a limitation on the 4800 or the HUI/Mackie parameters that only allows 16 channels. any way around this so that I can use my full 24 faders on the remote layer?

Yeah - well we 3200 users are limited to two 8 bank HUI faders, so scrolling is a frequent maneuver. But, it's not that big a deal - it becomes routine like everything else after awhile.

Anyway, glad it's working.

EDIT: Wait - you SHOULD have 24 faders; you probably didn't set up an extension in the HUI parameters - meaning you'd have 3 x 8 fader banks.

Since I don't use a 4800, I'm uncertain how that's done. Hopefully somebody can chime in. It's a simple thing, I just am not familiar with it.

CaptDan

Screenshots from both PT and DM remote control setup screens could help to identify the problem.

captdan said:
Yeah - well we 3200 users are limited to two 8 bank HUI faders, so scrolling is a frequent maneuver. But, it's not that big a deal - it becomes routine like everything else after awhile.

Anyway, glad it's working.

EDIT: Wait - you SHOULD have 24 faders; you probably didn't set up an extension in the HUI parameters - meaning you'd have 3 x 8 fader banks.

Since I don't use a 4800, I'm uncertain how that's done. Hopefully somebody can chime in. It's a simple thing, I just am not familiar with it.

CaptDan
CaptDan you did it again. When you wrote that I should have 3x8 fader banks it made me look in Pro tools setup>peripherals>MIDI Controllers and noticed only the first two banks were set up. Once I added the third bank it worked perfectly.

Thanks.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.