Optimizing effects on dp-24

geode

Gear owned
dp-24
So I have done a bit of research on my new-to-me dp-24 (not sd) and I think I am ready to record one of my original tunes. I am hoping y’all can give me some pointers on the best way to use effects (either internal or external) when recording acoustic guitar and vocals using one condenser mic (AT 4033a). I will be recording guitar and vocals at the same time than overdubbing harmony vocals and harmonica. I am shooting for a somewhat raw, classic sound...think early, classic Dylan. I have an external effects unit (Alesis Midiverb 4) at my disposal if needed.

For example, which is the best Dynamic effect to use while recording (compressor??). Should I use use reverb at the mastering stage or by using a Send effect? Do you recommend using the noise suppressor within the guitar effect block? To free up the internal effects, should I use the external effects unit to add maybe reverb while recording.

Sorry for the many questions but I am hoping someone with more experience with these machines can tell me their “process” so that I can limit some trial and error.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't yet done so, I strongly recommend reading through the Production Tips and Equipment Tips stickies at the top of this forum, and watching Phil Tipping's video tutorials (also in the sticky section).

As a general comment, there's no one size fits all "formula" for using the tools at your disposal. Experiment and trust your ears. The Tips section should help point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Yeah - you've asked quite a bit there. I agree that you'll need to get in there and simply start experimenting.

(definitely watch the Tipping tutorials if you haven't yet!)

A couple of thoughts:

1) Experiment with the dynamic effects compressor. This affects the signal at the input stage and can not be undone once you recorded something with it on. You also may want to try recording something without the compressor - then if you want you can run that recorded signal out the send and back to an input where you can monitor and/or record with the compressor on. This way - you can have a performance dry without the compressor, and the same performance with the compressor added - and see which you prefer.

2) I often turn on the send effects reverb while tracking - which adds the reverb to the signal after the recording/capture stage but before the stereo bus. What this means is that you'll hear the reverb while monitoring, recording, and playback.... but the effect will NOT be recorded.

I'll add the reverb (if desired) permanently to the recorded signal at the mixdown stage.

3) Unless you've got some unusual noisy signal thing happening - I doubt you'll need the guitar effects noise suppressor. In fact, I've *never* had a use for it. Or any of the guitar effects, for that matter.

But yeah... check out the tutorials on youtube, spend time with the sticky threads at the top of the forum, and just go nuts with experimentation.

You can't break anything and memory is cheap!:)

Thanks for the responses. Yes I have seen all of Phil’s videos (and will probably purchase his manual for reference)....but by his own admittance the videos are not a tutorial on the specific application or settings of the effects but rather on how to navigate the machine to fully tap its potential. I will definitely give the sticky threads a read. I will also continue to play with the machine to get to know it better.

Thanks for the tips David. Do you use any external effects units while recording or post recording? If so, what effect(s) have you used successfully?

Thanks again.

Do you use any external effects units while recording or post recording? If so, what effect(s) have you used successfully?

Absolutely. It all depends on what I'm wanting to do.

I have an Alesis Nanoverb that has some nice effects and have used that externally - as opposed to the on board reverbs and/or delays. But I find that the on board effects are pretty good - so I tend to stick with those for simplicity sake unless I'm needing something really different - which is not often.

Mark Richards and I both own the Digitech RP360 which is loaded with all kinds of effects and signal processors. I have occasionally used that if I'm wanting something more unusual.

A few years ago I wanted to add a single short repeat of one note in a guitar solo... so I inserted a Boss DD-6 floor pedal delay between the send and the input and held it in my hand while recording that guitar solo track back to a new track... with my hands brought the effect in and immediately back out after that one note. Worked perfectly.

I've also run a final mix (L/R) out sends 1 and 2.... through my TC Electronic mastering processor - and back to two open tracks. That also worked out well.

Pretty much... if you can imagine it - you can do it.

New threads

Members online