Phantom power in line input?

patrickr2018

From
Bethlehem Pa
Gear owned
Tascam dm3200, FW card, a
Hi guys! Quick question here. Does the DM3200 not provide phantom power to the line inputs? I finished wiring my studio and used TRS jacks coming in from the live room. My dynamic mics work fine but condensers don't. Am I going to have to change the connectors to XLR's?

No, the line inputs do not have phantom power. Because TRS connectors are often wired many different ways for different applications, it is rare to see a TRS connector on a capacitor microphone. Think about it, that connector is used for balanced input, send and return on effect units, stereo headphones, Y-cords, and more. You can imagine the risk to equipment if 48V was applied incorrectly to these devices in many of these cases. Fortunately, XLR connectors are primarily used in audio for balanced microphone cabling. I’m not saying these connectors are not used for anything else, but it’s rare. So, you’re actually better off, and your capacitor mics safer from damage, if you do replace their TRS connectors with XLRs.

Ugh!! I didn't think about that. I helped my mentor wire up his console a few years ago and the plugs were all TRS jacks so I didn't think it would be a problem. Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.