Portastudio 488 loose motor reel

spacemandom

Gear owned
Portastudio 488, mf-p01
I got a 488 and everything worked except it was very fluttery. I assumed I would just have to replace the belt on the capstan motor but when I looked inside and it seemed okay. However, The motor reel was completely loose and was just dangling by the wires. Might sound silly but I have no idea how this thing is supposed to be attached.

I have these 2.5mm screws that seem to fit the holes in the front but they don't really grip the plastic at all. I provided some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/CFgwJk0

I'm a bit new to this so any help is really appreciated. Thanks!

The screws are a special long kind and the cassette holder or sub plate needs to come off as the screws go into the black spacer on the motor and then into the motor. If you look at the service manual mechanical drawing it will show this. Wow and flutter can be caused by a bad belt, bad motor or lack of oil in any of these areas- motor, capstan bearing and so forth. This is not the kind of product that is easy to self service otherwise the question would not be here.

The screws are 2.6mm X 17mm and are item 64 in the diagram here-
upload_2022-3-24_12-11-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-3-24_12-10-7.png
    upload_2022-3-24_12-10-7.png
    206 KB · Views: 5
The Item 9 on this diagram needs AMSoil put into it as well as on capstan shaft of flywheel item 12.

Thank you so much! You’ve basically answered every question I had. I can’t find any 2.6mm screws for the life of me, especially that length. I did have some 2.5mm screws with me and they seemed to fit into the motor quite well. Do you think I should just get 2.5mm ones that length and use those? Those I could actually find.

Also which amsoil do you use/recommend for this job?

Thanks again!

I go by the service manual and it says M2.6 X17 and so On E bay there are places you can order them but not one and two. I ordered 100 I bet.
I don't like to be stopped by not having the right screws. I order the 2.6 X 10 screes for the cassette compartment too as these are black and if you low one the unit has to wait to get another not that I make a habit of losing screw but others do.
The AMS oil I use is Signatures series 0W30. I just has a 122 MK III I did have wow and flutter or .023%

New threads

Members online

No members online now.