Power Conditioner

@Arjan P Both suggestions are brilliant. After submitting my original post I had a light bulb moment. Actually I was in bed when that happened.

At some point, I will be connecting my Digiflex DPR16-4X-75 snake to the back of my DM. I was planning to have that snake feed inputs in an adjacent room. Now, the way I see it, that would leave 8 remaining mic inputs. What if I were to use something along these lines:

Connectronics CTX-8XFXM XLR Feed-Thru 1RU Patchbay 8-Female XLR Front/8-Male XLR Rear

Basically I would be killing two birds with one stone. Not to worry, I am an animal lover and would not hurt a fly.

It would give me access to those inputs if I wanted to record a signal while in the mix room. Not to mention that once I permanently wheel the Argosy into it's place it won't be easy to get to the back of it. I also really like your vented plate idea as well.

This may or may not be the specs that I require though.

https://www.markertek.com/product/c...u-patchbay-8-female-xlr-front-8-male-xlr-rear

Or this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Behringer-ULTRALINK-MS8000-Ultra-Flexible-Microphone/dp/B016BIDFI8/ref=sr_1_11?crid=NDQ36GJPS230&dchild=1&keywords=art patchbay&qid=1592403040&sprefix=ART patc,aps,169&sr=8-11

Last edited:
Reactions: Arjan P
@skier If ever I was to use that area where you see the Argosy logo it would have to be a device that is shallow in depth. I was completely spent when I submitted my response last night. Played tennis for a little over an hour with one of my daughters. Boy, am I feeling it this morning.

I completely forgot that I could have simply raised the top of the Argosy desk when I took those photos. That would have exposed the entire DM and the wooden frame.

It would give me access to those inputs if I wanted to record a signal while in the mix room. Not to mention that once I permanently wheel the Argosy into it's place it won't be easy to get to the back of it. I also really like your vented plate idea as well.
With the examples you show you'd also need 8 mic cables. If you're not too clumsy with the soldering iron, why not buy the components and cable and fix it yourself? That way you can also use the rack space without depth, cause you'd only need enough to allow for the chassis XLR male parts and the cable soldered onto it. You could also customize the panel by adding the 8 line inputs to go with it. Just an idea.

@Arjan P I suppose that it shouldn't be too difficult to cut the cables to the length that I require. Then, as you suggest, purchase quality XLR connectors & do the soldering myself. Time and patience. Good idea re: the 8 line inputs. Now, I would really be delving into uncharted territory. I will crunch the numbers and see how cost effective that would be. I have also attached photos of what that bay looks like with the top open. Thanks again for all the awesome input. Much appreciated. Peter

Last edited:
Peter, it really makes sense when owning a studio, even a small personal project studio, for you to be comfortable soldering and doing simple fixes because wires break on microphones, their cords, on speakers, and other equipment. You'll not only save some money for a simple fix, you'll be able to fix it when you want or need it and not have to wait for someone to come or for you to go exchange or replace it. And once you're comfortable with this type of stuff, you'll also feel comfortable making some things that will be much less expensive than purchasing. And somethings you can't even buy, but you can make a custom device for yourself. It can be some kind of simple custom adapter, a switch panel so you can control multiple speakers, and much more.

I went to soldering school, and I was trained as a soldering instructor. I can hold any country's military or aerospace hand soldering specification. I also ran wave soldering operations in a manufacturing environment. So let me know if I can help you master the art of hand soldering!

@Peter Batah I sure would like to know how you attach photos to your posts, when the Forum has that function disabled. It's not that I wan to prevent you from doing it; on the contrary, I want to be able to do it too! lol

I suppose that it shouldn't be too difficult to cut the cables to the length that I require. Then, as you suggest, purchase quality XLR connectors & do the soldering myself.
Just to make sure you know - there are empty 19" panels available with the XLR chassis part cutouts already done: https://www.bax-shop.nl/19-inch-platen/innox-rp-1u8x-19-inch-paneel-voor-8x-d-size-chassis Not sure if they have enough space to fit stereo jack chassis parts inbetween though.

Last edited:
Just to make sure you know - there are empty 19" panels available with the XLR chassis part cutouts already done: https://www.bax-shop.nl/19-inch-platen/innox-rp-1u8x-19-inch-paneel-voor-8x-d-size-chassis Not sure if they have enough space to fit stereo jack chassis parts inbetween though.

That is so cool. There is something out there for everyone and every job. Big or small. Hmm. Now you really have me thinking about turning this into a project!

I suppose a decent soldering station, rivets, and the necessary parts is what I would need to get going?

Peter, it really makes sense when owning a studio, even a small personal project studio, for you to be comfortable soldering and doing simple fixes because wires break on microphones, their cords, on speakers, and other equipment. You'll not only save some money for a simple fix, you'll be able to fix it when you want or need it and not have to wait for someone to come or for you to go exchange or replace it. And once you're comfortable with this type of stuff, you'll also feel comfortable making some things that will be much less expensive than purchasing. And somethings you can't even buy, but you can make a custom device for yourself. It can be some kind of simple custom adapter, a switch panel so you can control multiple speakers, and much more.

Words of Wisdom. That makes a whole lot of sense. Especially, with the exuberant cost of many of the things that any studio big or small requires. Case in point: The two Mogami 10' XLR cables that I picked up for my monitors. Ouch! At least I won't have to spend a bundle on room treatment. Bought some used power tools, watched a crap load of YT videos, read some, and soon I was ready for a "This Old House" spinoff.

Maybe it's time to dust off my decades old soldering station. From what I can remember this relic wasn't working very well.

Last edited:
Weller does make good soldering gear, though it can be more expensive than some of what you can now get from China. However, you've already bought the Weller equipment (just like we all did years ago), so I'd definitely start with that. You may later want to get a desoldering or a re-work station,but it's not truly necessary - you already own the necessary equipment. The main thing is to learn to use it correctly, and then practice, practice, practice - that's the only way any of us ever got good at it. On the drones I've been building lately, some of the soldering pads on the flight controllers are so small, I'm celebrating that I forced myself to practice years ago. Mind you, I'm not saying I'm any kind of expert, and I certainly don't have MJK's training, but the practice definitely is a necessary component.

Boy Peter, the pressure is certainly on now - you have absolutely no reason or excuse not to begin building. We got him guys! :)

Reactions: -mjk-
If it heats up, you probably only need a new tip.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Simply drag the desired image from wherever it may be located directly into the body of the post that you are creating or replying to

Facepalm! Thanks!

In another Forum, I'd be happy to lay out the basics of good hand soldering. Typically, fluxes are a mystery, as well as the solder formula, but those 2 things in of themselves can guarantee success or disaster, depending upon your choices.

Thanks for the detailed photos @Peter Batah. Photo sharing works even better if you upload to a remote site like Imgur. You can just drag any photo onto imgur.com and then use the "BB code" link they generate for you that you can paste here. The link will look something like this:

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/UQmc1eU.jpg[/img]

@DJ X You are most welcome. I use Imgur quite often actually. But, if simply dragging a photo onto the body of the message that I am composing saves me that one extra step then that's the route I am going to take. More efficient IMHO!

Boy Peter, the pressure is certainly on now - you have absolutely no reason or excuse not to begin building. We got him guys! :)

I think that I am going to run for the hills instead. There's something about a bunch of audio buffs wielding soldering irons that scares the bejesus out of me.

@DJ X But, if simply dragging a photo onto the body of the message that I am composing saves me that one extra step then that's the route I am going to take. More efficient IMHO!

Understood, but it's not the most efficient route for our forum, because every uploaded image becomes part of the forum's database (which is mostly text), which must be stored, compressed and backed up every night. You can imagine how quickly it snowballs into an unmanageable size and becomes an expensive luxury.

@DJ X Understood. Then Imgur it is! Whatever I can do to help.

Reactions: -mjk- and DJ X
@Peter Batah I know what you mean. I paid nearly $3,000 USD for my X32. It was already landed in Taiwan and in the Behringer warehouse. I found a new Midas M32 in NYC for almost 1/2 off the retail price and the local X32 was still cheaper because of the 15 percent import duty.

But, where Taiwan has it going is in computers. At Nova (computer/electronic store complex) You can walk down the aisle and browse computer shops. Any one of them can build you a custom machine with the latest Asus motherboards and brand-new video cards that just came out. Very soon, I will be doing that very thing when I have a new machine built for digital audio and Dante networking. So it's a trade off between local and import. At least imported whiskey is extremely cheap here!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.