Pro Tools MIDI Control with the DM4800/DM3200

So I just thought I'd ask everyone who watched this (other than those who posted already) if they had any success with the video.

Love feedback (the good comment kind).

Reactions: Chris
Success here!! I managed to setup my DM's for Cubase also after watching the Cubase version of this, learned a wealth of knowledge! Forever grateful!!

Reactions: jamsire
Oh hell yeah man! Nothing but complete success and more understanding!
Without this video i would be completely clueless! haha.. Great work Jasmire.

Would definitely recommend!

I set up MIDI control for ProTools 11 on Mac and works absolutely fine with the User Defined Layer.. and also hooked up MIDI with the loop out cable out of the DM into F/W Midi too!

Reactions: jamsire
Very nice on both comments!!

Chris - that "MIDI with the loop out cable out of the DM into F/W Midi" is a HUGE BONUS!!

Yay!!

Reactions: Chris
I know this explains a lot to the veteran user but to me it is all a can of worms. I will understand it eventually and use the set up but my question is can I control 24 protools faders with 24 DM 4800 faders. It may have been stated somewhere in a certain way but not in plain words. You have explained many layers but which layer is used to do that. Please forgive my lack of experience here still learning. Somtimes you say midi faders won't work in protools and other times you say only 16 will work. Sorry for my confussion I don't mean to ofend only learn. If your in Toronto I'll even come to your studio for a play by play. Respestfully Yours Jasmire

Hi!

This video is a tutorial on how to get the most MIDI functions out the DM4800 into Pro Tools.

In order to control 24 (and more) faders in Pro Tools, you have to be in the Remote Layer. I don't cover that because it's tight there on the front of the lower right side of the console. There is also a quick setup in Pro Tools you have to and you can find that on the forum. Just do a search.

Hi Jasmire, thank you for the reply and answer that makes things more clear. I will seek the remote layer on the forums. I'm still learning the DM4800. I love it but a steep learning curve. I'll get back to you when I figure it out. All the best.

@nflyte Using the DM as a control surface is one thing. Having it learn MIDI as well is another ball of wax. Jamsire's YT video tutorial is a must see if that is what you are interested in. Too bad you weren't in Montreal I would have been glad to have spent a little time with you. Although, I am light years away from being an expert!

Hi Peter, thanks for your input. I will be trying tonight to get set up the DM with protools. I used to have a DM4800 years ago that I sold to someone in Montreal that actually came to Toronto to pick it up. Maybe it was you. Take care

Last edited:
@nflyte Were you selling it with a Mogami snake and a mic pre by any chance? And, did the display need replacing? In any case, I did not drive out to TO. Believe it or not, the seller drove in from Quebec city to deliver it to me. Boy, did I get lucky!

Edit: Actually, I just remembered that the DM that was being sold in Toronto was a 3200

Last edited:
Cool, the one I sold was in mint condition so the buyer got a really good deal. When I got my second one it had the meter bridge and firewire card included. Paid $2800.00 all inclusive with a new screen installed as well. It is the 3rd screen but he said he left it on all the time. I have the 2Seemy card but still need to install it if this screen ever goes bad. I have a USB computer twin blade cooling fan that is noiseless under the cards vent under the DM that helps keep it cool. Heat is the worst thing for the screen. My DM is shut down when not in use so the screen has a as a chance to cool down as well.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Cool, the one I sold was in mint condition so the buyer got a really good deal. When I got my second one it had the meter bridge and firewire card included. Paid $2800.00 all inclusive with a new screen installed as well. It is the 3rd screen but he said he left it on all the time and they would burn out fast. I have the 2Seemy card I will install if this screen goes.

Hi!

This video is a tutorial on how to get the most MIDI functions out the DM4800 into Pro Tools.

In order to control 24 (and more) faders in Pro Tools, you have to be in the Remote Layer. I don't cover that because it's tight there on the front of the lower right side of the console. There is also a quick setup in Pro Tools you have to and you can find that on the forum. Just do a search.
This was a great video with soooo much thought out information and illustrations. I for one, is so grateful. Do you know if you can control aux from the DM also

Hello,
I'm new to the group. I have DM-3200 and a NekoEx5 running Pro Tools 12HD. I'm having trouble syncing the two. I have the Firewire and usb connections and the DM shows in Protools, but I can't get any sound or control. Watched the vid and under periphial section the HUI ix not the same format as the vid. I'm thinking the problem is how I'm routing. Any ideas on how to fix?

I'm sorry, but I don't know how the OpenLabs system is setup. You no sound problems are with routing and you can find solutions with a search on this site. Good luck.

New threads

Members online