Problems with opening an 488 mkii

enginEAR

Gear owned
238 (2), 488 mkII, MA-8
Hello dear forum,

I inherited a Portastudio 488 mkii that shows an error when a cassette is inserted that seems to be related to the 'C-Gear' and is decribed in this forum in at least one thread.

Now I would like to open the unit to have a closer look, but after removing all screws on the downside I still can't.

Am I missing something? Thank you for your input!

Yes there are two M2.6 special screws in the cassette compartment. These are kind of special screws and so don't lose them. M2.6 X12 screws can be purchased but I find it best to be careful and category all screws as to where they go. On some unit I put a small L next to holes where longer screws go in. A Technician that acts in his work with detail will not have missing screws and wrong screws in a unit. There are also screws at the rear panel that are two different types- some machine and some plastic self tap. The gear is only on problem, dried up grease is the other and the Idler tire on the fast wind may be cracked or hard and the capstan belt will need replacement- you don't want to fix it like some shop do that just get them going but like I do where they stay out there for years. I am a past Teac Technician so this is where I get the correct work ethics and I also train people like this too.

Hey SkywaveTDR,

thank you very much for your answer. So 'cassette compartment' means the area where the tape is inserted? Will be very careful with the screws as always when teaeing things apart. Hehehe.

Yes, That is where they are at the lower end on each side. I had one guy cut a hole in the plastic case to get it apart and still did not accomplish this- the screws when I got the unit were taken out and the unit came apart. The Pitch control knob also comes off but that is about it. The problem with these units is that the cables inside are short- I have just now made some extension cables so the unit can be opened up more for calibration reason than troubleshooting but I have to say that with all the contacts and crimp tool I may have spent more than $100 just to get to make these cables. Also if you unplug them like a bull in a china shop changes are the header will then have broken solder joints which will require the disassembly of the unit more to get to those solder connections all of which are at the edge of breaking due to wave solder manufacturing. I tell people that my solder joints are bullet proof and shiny as well but with solder costing $60 a pound these days at some places. All this pricing due to government regulation is getting ridiculous. Guess who ends up paying for all this?

The unit will work for a long time if you maintain them correctly which means all that damping fluid they used for grease has got to come out. I use Lubriplate 105 which in all the years I have used it there has never been a grease related problem found. The New Oil I use is a Motor oil called AMSoil Signature 0W30 which gets me real low wow and flutter readings better than anything used previous. It is a synthetic oil.

New threads

Members online