Ps-488 not transporting

funfair sascha

Gear owned
ps-488
Hey,
I just tried fixing my old PS-488 (MK-1). Hadn't used it for about 20 years amd the belt was entirely disintegrated and I had to wipe it of. Already replaced it.
Now that I put it back together I have the following issue:
- fast forward and rewind: works like a charm
- play: engine is running, it goes 'eugh,eugh,eugh,eugh' but no trnsportation of the cassette tape.
- when I remove the cassette and fake it by manually pressing the cassette detector with my fingers and then press play, the reel transporter runs with a solid strength and the freshly replaced belt does its job, but whenever a cassette is inside, it doesn't do anything (but eugheugheugh..). Tested with several cassettes.
Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong?

Is the pinch roller firmly contacting the capstan shaft, and are they both turning?

Sounds like a job where it only needs a belt was done. Well as you can tell now it needs more than a belt. Whatever is moving the mechanism needs cleaning and new grease as the old stuff hardens up.

The capstan and pinch roller being the mechanism that moves the tape, are not properly functioning. See if you can figure out why they're not moving.

I have such a unit on my bench right now. The capstan is driven by a belt and that belt can stretch and even break or become like tar in some cases. If it looks like tar, get a lot of paper towels and do not try to touch this stuff until you are ready with paper towels and Denatured alcohol. This stuff seems to get everywhere once you touch it. I often come out of the fight winning but with lots of black fingers. Some use surgical gloves but even though I have access to such things, I do not play around with them. Also realize that when a belt like that become tar like, pieces can break off and make themselves known at a later time and so paper towels and a Menda dispenser with Denatured is always a good thing to have on the bench. Best results have been found using AMSoil signature Synthetic oil in the capstan bearing which requires the flywheel be extracted and of course do not forget to clean the capstan shaft off of oil after placing it back into the bearing. this is a true statement regardless of cassette deck or Open Reel. This oil resulted in a wow and flutter figure of .02% in an old A2000R reel deck which then triggered my determining that this stuff is Liquid Gold as far as oiling goes. I use it all the time in syringes on my bench now. It has proven itself over and over a hundred times already. This it IS possiblr to repair a deck cassette or reel types that is better than spec or new condition with this oil. It is 0W30 weight.

New threads

Members online