Punch in dp-32sd

Findlay

Gear owned
244 DP32
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find it on a search. Just a small thing - I am about to do quite a few punch-ins on my DP32SD and wanted to check about the symbol that comes up on the screen for a few seconds after you have stopped recording and the recorder is presumably writing to the card. I'm using the footswitch for manual punches and I tend to work very quickly, going back if I'm not happy with the punch in a fraction of a second, as you can with the super footswitch. I want to get recording straight away but should I wait for the writing symbol to go before I do? I seem to remember a while back getting in a bit of a mess with quick re-takes and not recording quite what I thought! Very grateful for any thoughts, as ever.

Wait for the file to write.

The better way is to use Autopunch with Repeat turned on if you're that anxious to do it again. Record up to 8 Virtual Track takes, Copy/Paste the one you like best. More on that in the Production Tips sticky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Findlay
It has happened to me that when hastily going back, with writing to card still ongoing (the little icon) the recorder freezes and I have to pull the power supply cable. I learned to be a bit more patient but still, sometimes I catch myself being at it again.

Reactions: Findlay
Eric - just out of interest, do these freezes still occur with the latest firmware? Each update says "Operation stability has been improved" so was wondering if they ever fixed this problem.

Thanks for your replies Mark and Eric. I will try Autopunch with repeat!

Reactions: Mark Richards
Phil, I have not seen my recorder freeze again since the last update even though I often find myself frantically going back during card write. So yes, I guess it runs more stable than before. I try hard not to "stress" the machine and even bought a foot switch to spare the buttons. I'm glad Tascam is still supporting the DP24/32 series. The way the market goes it's the last of their (standalone) kind. So better handle it with care.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
mmm.... have just tried using Auto Punch and having problems. I set the in and out points with 8s pre-roll and 1s post and tried the rehearsal and there is no muting of the existing recording or switch to input monitoring at the in point. I have the track armed and have done everything the manual says. Any ideas what could be going wrong? The out point is about 2 minutes after the in point - does this have any effect?

Thanks Phil. I've set auto monitor to on in Preferences and autopunch rehearsal is working ok now. I still don't get the checking in/out points to work though, as mentioned in the manual (page 46 paragraph 2). -I can't seem to use the footswitch to set record mode in autopunch - I guess you still have to set record using the button on the recorder?

I seem to remember someone else finding this, but might be wrong... I've not got a foot switch to confirm. If it's true, you'll have to sacrifice one of your 8 takes to give you time to press the button and get into your playing position :) Either that, or set the pre-roll earlier? I've never used punch-in (could never get it seamless, so resign myself to editing the sections later!) so maybe someone else can advise.

I don't use a foot switch, but in Preferences, one of your foot switch buttons can be set to "Punch In/Out". Have you tried that in conjunction with Auto Punch?

If that doesn't help, then have you tried setting one of the foot switch buttons to "Record" and try a longer pre-roll for Auto Punch?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I have the footswitch centre set to Punch In/Out at the moment. I will try setting it to Record and see what happens!

Editing this a couple of hours later because I've just tried setting the centre pedal to record and it seems to work!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil Tipping

New threads

Members online

No members online now.