Question about song collaboration DP24-SD and older DP24 with CD

Stan Meissner

Gear owned
dp-24sd
I am attempting to do some song collaborations with a friend. I have the DP-24SD and he has the DP24 previous model with the built in CD drive. I created a song, pulled the card out of my recorder and copied the entire song file to a folder on my computer. I uploaded the folder to Google drive so that he could download it to his system. Our assumption was that he could copy the song folder onto a spare card and open it in his DP24 but it's not showing up on his 24 track.

Logic is telling me that this should work as nothing has been changed in the song folder. Is what we are attempting to do possible or is there something about the DP24 files that prevents us from doing this? I would assume that if I were to put my card into his DP24 it would work. We're doing this to avoid an hour of drive time whenever we want to work on a song.

I should make it clear that I sent the entire song folder that contained all the wav files and song information intact exactly as it was on my SD card. Nothing was changed by me about the song folder or it's contents. The folder I mentioned that I created was a music folder in google drive for my friend to access.

Did your friend format his SD card on his DP24? The folder structure must be complete, and won't work with just a song folder on the card.

Do the "export/import" thing.
Export your song and give him the card and have him import it.

Thanks for the suggestions. My computer crashed after I posted this and things have been out of whack so I apologize for not getting back. I told him to format the card in the DP24 and then drop the song folder on the card to see if that works. I was under the impression that the import function was only to add wav tracks and would assume that if the card was formatted properly and he added the complete song file folder it should work. I am having him send me a test song file to see if I can get his working. He mentioned something about changing the song name so if he did that he could have used too many characters or there could be files in the folder that are dependent on the song name. If it's possible we will figure it out.

No that won't work
He could copy over everything (not just the song folder) on the SD card to a newly formatted SD card and that would work.
Others with more experience can interject but I believe this was covered in another thread.
You need more than the song folder for things to work right.

But he can import all the tracks of an individual song
and that will work.
Whatever other artifacts are needed get created by the import function?

Stan, as the others have said, copying just the song folder should be sufficient as it's a self-contained item. It must be copied into the MUSIC folder on the other card, and no other files/folders should be touched. If both machines are the same models, I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work... maybe if they are at different firmware levels (Menu, Information), but unlikely.
You could use export/import (and this would work between different models), but this is a slower process and will only transfer the audio on each track - you won't retain other settings such as FX or send levels etc., all of which are contained within the song folder.
The most likely cause is the renaming of the song folder. The only file within the folder which depends on its name is the mix/master file, but this won't affect the ability to play individual tracks in multitrack mode. More likely he's used too many characters or ones which are not recognised by the machine - keep it short and alphanumeric to start with - you can always rename it within the machine later. Let us know if you solve it.

Last edited:
I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for their replies. The problem has been solved. Evidently some of the files in the folder got flipped to read only during file transfer. I'm not sure why that happens but I recall seeing that in other applications over the years. That was the first thing I suggested that he check but I had to wait on him to get a free afternoon to try it. I had him format the blank card on the DP24 before dropping the folder onto the card.

Reactions: Phil Tipping

New threads

Members online