RC-3F clicking

RiversideBluesman

From
Deepest, darkest Devon England
Gear owned
DP24. DP03
Hello all.

New member to the forum, but been reading a while and picked up loads of useful stuff, thanks to everyone for sharing.

I've just got an RC3F pedal to use with my DP03 and I'm getting some distinct clicking off the pedal as I'm punching in and out. Not the mechanical sound of the pedal in the room, but an electrical clicking as I hold the pedal down. Definitely there on the recording on playback.

And weirdly, although I'm clear it's not the mechanical sound of the pedal I'm hearing, the clicking only seems to occur when I've got the DP03 set to record on the internal mics; it's not there when I use the line in input.

Any thoughts ?

I you don't have a clicking sound when you're using the line input, how can you be so sure it's not mechanical noise you're recording with the mics? That would be my first suspect. You can take the switch as far away from the mics as possible and gently press it with your hand to minimize mechanical noise. That would tell the story.

Hi there.

Thanks for the response.

Yep, tried that. It's clearly not the mechanical sound of the pedal being picked up by the mics. For example, if I press on the pedal and hold it down, I'm getting a regular series of these clicks being recorded, and they keep coming as long as the pedal is down.

I can also hear the mechanical sound also being recorded, but it is a different sound from the clicking.

But it only happens when the DP03 is set to the mic setting.

Sounds like a dodgy unit ?

Reactions: -mjk-
And just tried it all again with my partner operating the pedal from the room next door. Absolutely no mechanical noise picked up but the same clicking being recorded.

Reactions: -mjk-
OK! That additional information is very useful. You are using a digital recorder and there are no mechanical devices inside like a motor or tape mechanism, so we know it's not that. And, you're hearing a series of pulses if you keep the pedal held down. So it sounds like what you're hearing are spikes coming from the pedal. And, it makes sense that you hear it in microphone mode, because the mic preamplifier is a very sensitive circuit compared to the line input.

What's causing it? There's no way to tell without doing some tests. You may need to attach a ground wire to the DP machine chassis, or maybe even a bypass capacitor inside the foot switch. My first suspect would be the pedal. And the first thing I would do, is make sure that the batteries powering the switch are brand-new at full charge. Sometimes strange things happen to those circuits when the battery voltage drops a little bit. Then I would disconnect everything from the machine except its own power supply, and record a blank track and see if you hear it. Then I would go back to recording the microphone, and see where you start to experience the issue. Some people leave USB cables plugged in all the time, and I have found them to be notorious for generating all kinds of ground loops that can be recorded unfortunately.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have one condenser microphone that's sensitive to electrical noise, and whenever I use that one mic, I have to unplug USB cables all over my studio and then the noise goes away. I would try using different types of microphones and note the results.

Sorry you're having these problems, but thank you for the additional detailed information.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Right. The latest clicking news....

1. I'm only getting this on Internal Mic A and B settings. Doesn't appear to be audible/recorded on other inputs.

2. Only audible/recorded when the trim is past noon, or when the input fader is 2/3rds of the way up, so obviously the higher input levels.

3. Nice new batteries. Still get the clicking.

4. Tried multiple combinations of equipment turned on/off, plugged in/unplugged etc. Same clicking. Eventually, turned off everything else in the room, plugged the DP03 straight into the wall with just the power supply and pedal plugged in. Still get the clicking.

From what I understand, that pedal sends a constant stream of digital data (in a slow rate) and my guess is that creates digital noise that gets picked up by the sensitive mic circuitry, especially with high gains.. That would mean there's nothing you can do except supply higher gain signals..

1. I'm only getting this on Internal Mic A and B settings. Doesn't appear to be audible/recorded on other inputs

Looks like you have a couple of choices:
  1. Use an external mic or mics and preamp into a line input.
  2. Devise a passive switch system.
  3. Breadboard the connection between the switch and the recorder, and try a combination of bypass capacitors to see if you can get rid of the noise. If successful, you can install them either in an adapter, or inside the switch housing.

Right. Thanks folks. Some things for me to consider then....

I can confirm that this only happening with the in-built mics on the DP03, not on any other input, even when I'm using condenser mics (AKG C3000). Nor is it happening on the DP24 at all.

I will need to get it sorted out as one of the key reasons I bought the DP03 was as a single unit recording solution for when I was travelling about, for noting ideas, basic composition, etc. The internal mics seemed a great way to avoid carting extra kit about. (And to be honest, I've got some nice recordings which were actually done just on those mics alone).

The pedal is a really useful way of working, but it's a shame that it couldn't have been silent on the internal mics as it came out of the box. Understand the reasons that folks have explained, but nonetheless this is a Tascam pedal, which was built to work with Tascam recorders, so surely it would have made sense for the mics on the DP03 to be considered.

Ho hum....

I will turn the pedal over to my friendly local LX engineer/music tech who has sorted out other bits of my gear in the past. If/when he comes up with a solution, I'll post something up here.

Thanks for all the help chaps. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-
I totally agree with you. I understand your disappointment and I feel the same way. We all appreciate your followup, and we hope you solve this issue so you can get back to work. And, yes, please do share any additional information/solution (even if unsuccessful) so that information can be added to the forum.

New threads

Members online