Recently, while recording a screen video

snafu

Veteran
From
Germany
Gear owned
Tascam DM 3200 + IF-FW_DMMK II
Hi,

I just wanted to record a simple video with FonePaw, showing something in Reaper 6, when I found out, it had no sound (other than windows system sounds).

And that's quiet obvious: my studio PC is connected via firewire to my trusty DM 3200; so my sound-interface (soundcard if you will) is the DM 3200.

Now, I can hear everything on my monitors that's happening on the PC, since all signals are sent to the firewire-card. But when recording a video it's a whole another thing: there is literally no sound happening on the PC - everything gets directly to the IF-FW/DMmkII.

Now I'm trying to find a solution, but I am kinda stuck with this.

Any ideas?

kind regards
snafu

You say standard Windows sounds are recorded in the screen video, so that means your video sound doesn't follow the standard routing? And can you change any settings in this FonePaw?

Hey Arjan, thanks for chiming in :)
I guess it's not that simple, I'm afraid.

I made a couple of screenshots though, maybe this says a lot more.

I have a realtek onboard sound thingy, which of course I don't use for audio.

So my DM 3200 is my soundcard. Since the firewirecard is installed, and this is my PC connection, my soundpanel is basically that of the IF-FW/DM mkII card.

Here I route 32 channels into the PC-domain, and two channels back.

Everything that happens inside the PC (system sounds, YouTube, winamp) goes into the DM, and from there to my monitors. Everything else is also going this route. So, if I open my DAW, my Master channel there is always routed to those feedback channels (1&2 of the IF-card).

But no sound is going from my desk into the PC. Perhaps the pictures help a bit:

EDIT: I had to upload to mediafire, sorry! Is there no way to include pictures in a post?

1. In a normal scenario I fire up any of my DAWs --> as you can see, there is sound coming from the DAW, but my windows sound config does not sure. Of course not --> it's directly send to my DM.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/9x4ne61d21sobv2/DAW_running_no_peaks.PNG/file

2. While my DAW is not running, I launch a system sound. Nothing happens in the DAW (as expected), but you can see level on the system config:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ypjfrcx40wq8fzi/System_sounds_running_daw_silent.PNG/file

3. This shows the settings of my IF-FW/DM mkII
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ulxhr4c4ystyhpf/iffwdm_settings.PNG/file

4. My sound settings:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/bmno2ay9tyex877/Sound_settings_%281%29.PNG/file
http://www.mediafire.com/view/jqh9vwi6svhlu2o/sound_settings_%282%29.PNG/file

5. And finally the settings in FonePaw
http://www.mediafire.com/view/x5a7pk6sdijccrk/FonePaw.PNG/file

I tried webex for video conference - same thing. I could chose my DM there, but I got no signal to webex.
Anyway - any ideas? Maybe another screen video tool I could try?

I think you should be looking in the Recording tab of your FonePaw settings. I mean, at your point 5. and from there the Sound Einstellungen. Tell FonePaw to record from IFFW - I assume that is what you want to do.

Tell FonePaw to record from IFFW - I assume that is what you want to do.
I did, but it remains dead silent. As I said,
no sound is going from my desk into the PC

Everything happens on the DM3200 - no sound is played back into the PC. I think, that's the problem - if I playback sounds in the DAW or with the winamp player, my meter for the IFFW at the Soundeinstellungen remains silent (s. pt. 1). I DO hear sound, but that's sound send to the DM. If I wanted to capture the sound inside the PC domain, it would have to be routed back there I guess?

I don't know how this is hooked up normally - all I can say is: for all my audio needs, my setup works perfectly fine; I just can't record screen videos with sound, because all sound is happening on the DM.

I see, you're also on Win 10 pro - how's your setup?

My setup is very similar, although I don't send Windows sounds through the IFFW. I have onboard sound that is functioning as Windows standard. That means everything I do outside of my DAWs (Wavelab and Cubase) goes through this sound card, which is digitally (S/PDIF) connected to the DM. That means Windows sounds, Youtube, Spotify etc have a shared stereo channel in the DM. But I never made screen videos so I don't run into such problems..

Reactions: -mjk- and snafu
Thanks, Arjan.

That's actually quiet interesting! I installed the IFFW into the DM, and a firewire card to my PC - as soon as I connected both, I just had to install the IFFW driver, and could chose the IF-card as my standard sound device.

As you can see from my pictures I have to channels of Output atm, which means, I get stereo return FROM the PC. I routet these actually to two input channels of the DM, and from there to a BUSS on the DM. This way I have full control of L/R channel coming out of the PC, mute, solo, and I can assign AUX 1&2 to the buss channel of the DM, which gives me further control (with a push of a button I can let the guy in my recording room listen to YouTube, but also use my Talback build into the DM).

There is no direct connection between my DM3200 and my build in PC soundcard.

Is the SPDIF of your onboard soundcard bi-directional? Maybe that's the solution?

Oh, and as for screen videos - I actually hate them. But lately I ran into something that's rather hard to explain, so besides asking in a forum I wanted to demonstrate the issue. For this, once in a lifetime I needed on screen recording. Guess I'm back to using my camcorder :cool:

During the last lock down I was forced to make a video conference, and thought: I might as well use my studio, there's no place better suited than this. We used webex back then. Quiet embarassing - I didn't get any of my mics to talk with webex, no matter what settings DM- and PC-wise I tried. At that time I wasn't fully aware, that I don't have something like a return channel to the PC. One always thinks thats the firewire card, but obviously that functions e.g if I connect something to the 2TrkIn of the DM. But not, if the sound is "created" in the PC, because that way it get's directly send to the DM.

Oh, but I could chose the IFFW as my standard audio device but I don't want to. You see, I want my 32 IFFW channels available to the DM from Cubase since I do hybrid mixing. This way I have 2 extra channels at the DM - and this audio is all less relevant anyway so it's easy this way to shut down unwanted Windows sounds during mixing..

There is also an S/PDIF input on my onboard sound device but I don't use it. Maybe you could use something like this to send DM Stereo Out back into the PC (and let FonePaw record from that). Watch out for feedback loops!

Reactions: snafu

New threads

Members online

No members online now.